Fuel pump not coming on - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wmburns

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Fuel pump not coming on

I have a 02 mustang GT I just purchased and fuel pump will not come on.Someone changed wiring harness and I replaced and hope I got all wires right Problem I when I urn car over I can not hear fuel pump and am not getting pressure I replaced fuel pump and checked before installing it works Checked fuses and they are good I checked voltage to and from inertia switch and I have 12 volts on both wires when I am turning engine over but still caint hear fuel pump.Hope someone can help me Please tell me what I need to do next THANK YOU VERY MUCH am looking forward to you response

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
BOSS Member

Is the ecm sending the signal for the pump to turn on....is there juice from the relay to the pump?

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

Garage
You should have a "fuel pump test lead" coming out of the harness near the firewall (engine side). You can apply 12v. to it with a jumper wire and should be able to hear the pump run and have pressure to your fuel injectors. Have you checked for an in-line filter in the system?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
GT Member

If you're getting voltage all the way to the inertia switch, then it sounds like the PCM and the relay inside the CCRM are good. The next item in the circuit between the inertia switch and the pump should be the fuel pump driver module. I think I would check for voltage there next.

1995 Mustang GT (5.0), daily driver
1995 GMC C2500 (5.7), alternate daily driver
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Start with the basics. Is the PCM even alive?

Turn the key on but do NOT crank. Does the check engine light come on? IF not, suspect that the PCM is not even alive.

Does the theft light go out after a 3 second "prove out"? If yes, this means that the key has been accepted and PATS is authorized. Soooooooooooo any problem would NOT be PATS related.

Does the check engine light go out during cranking? IF yes, this means the PCM is receiving a CKP signal.

IMO it's silly to start the hard diagnosis on the fuel pump driver module until some of the basic items have been verified.
Urambo Tauro likes this.

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

When I turn key on theft light blinks slow .When I turn engine over theft light blinks faster
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 18 Hours Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Mr Burns when I turn key on the theft light blinks slow and when I turn engine over it blinks faster. If I spray fuel in throttle body the car will start and run as long as I spray fuel in throttle body What do you believe I should try next
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 17 Hours Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Do you know what voltage should be on which wires I am getting volts at inertia switch 12 volts on both wires and also when I turn key on theft light blinks slow when I turn over it blinks faster but car will start as long as I spray fuel in throttle body how would you check module I haven't checked that THANKS FOR YOUR HELP Ibeen in hospital haven't been able to work on till now
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 7 Hours Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones1228 View Post
Do you know what voltage should be on which wires I am getting volts at inertia switch 12 volts on both wires
Best to use a test light that will load the circuit. But you should have 12 volts on both sides of the trunk mounted IFS switch.

You do realize that IF you had an ODB2 scanner with bi-directional capabilities that you could simply "command" the PCM to run the fuel pump? Image how different the trouble shooting process would be IF you had this ability. A $30 USB device will pay for itself many times over with the wealth of information it can provide.

ForScan ODB2 scanner w ELM327 USB
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...elm327-usb.57/

1996+ Crank with no start check list
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...e.html#2984838

NOTE: 1996+ Ford Factory PATS does NOT disable the fuel pump. So an anti-theft (PATS) issue is NOT the reason why the fuel pump isn't running. You may also have a PATS problem but it will be in addition to the fuel pump problem.

Further. Anytime the motor will not start because of PATS, it always sets a DTC code that points to PATS as the reason. Do you have any DTC codes stored in the PCM?

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 50 Minutes Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Mr Burns Thank you I will go buy a OB2D SCANNER When I get I will see if I know what I am doing if not I will let you know Thank you for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page