Intake manifold question. - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wmburns

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020 Thread Starter
Rookie

Intake manifold question.

I just bought the Ford racing Intake manifold, and on the crossover part it’s got two holes in the top. What are these for? Do I need to plug them?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

They are for the coolant temp sensor. Install the temp sensor in the corresponding location as your original and use the supplied plug for the other. Be sure to use thread sealant on both. The un-used hole is for other vehicle applications such as the F150 and Crown Vic which have the coolant temp sensor located on the other side.

2006 GT- Airaid Race CAI, 62mm BBK TB, SR Performance UD Pullies, FRPP Hot Rod Cams, CMDP's, Excedy Stage One Clutch and lightweight flywheel, Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with matching O/R H-Pipe & MBRP Street Axlebacks, Lito 91 Octane Tune
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

I got the sensor hole but there are two more holes on top of the actual crossover and I don’t know what they are for? The sensor hole is the big drilled and tapped hole but there are two more little holes in the actual crossover itself.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

As I bought the ford racing Intake from ford it came with nothing. But the intake.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

The two tall ones in the middle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D3136288-5060-4C35-8970-E5970067A8E8_1579381797232.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	612937  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member

It might be handy to mention the model year of your car. For example are we dealing with a 1996-1998 non-PI or a 1999-2004 PI?

Why is this important? Because a 1996-1998 non-PI has two sensor bosses on the coolant crossover. Where as a 1999-2004 has a single coolant sensor boss.

If your car has a PI motor then one would expect it to have only a single ECT sensor boss.

BUT.....If your replacement has two coolant bosses, THEN:
  • The Ford product intake that you have is actually for a non-PI motor.
  • The intake that you have is actually an after market "Dorman" replacement and not a Ford unit.

EDIT: the two tall "things" of the picture posted are not for a coolant sensors but are actually for the alternator support bracket. You can see the location for the 2nd coolant boss that is clearly not drilled out.

Here's what the alternator support bracket looks like. The bracket ties the cross over to the alternator.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-10153A/99-0...inum-Crossover

https://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-...et-9904gt.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-2004-F...UAAOSwKPNdILWO
Urambo Tauro likes this.

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Well I figured I am the in 4.6 section, but your right it’s for a 4.6 2v pi intake. That really only explains one of the hole? How can plug the other one. Sorry about my lack of word on the “tall things”. So I’m assuming that it will leak if I don’t plug them?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

So your telling me i got the wrong intake? That’s a non pi intake? Your kidding me?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Seeing this bracket which one has one side drilled out for the mounting points and there being two on there has me really confused.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmith01 View Post
Seeing this bracket which one has one side drilled out for the mounting points and there being two on there has me really confused.
The two center tall boss in the attached picture is for the alternator support bracket. Please go back to review the updated post #6 with examples of what the alternator support bracket looks like.

Here's an example of why it's important to include all of the details of the car in question. It avoids confusion and help us out here in Internet land to give you the best help we can. Best not to guess.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

I got it bro be more specific! And I will I was just in a confused cluster! Now my question being if I don’t use them holes will it leak?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmith01 View Post
I got it bro be more specific! And I will I was just in a confused cluster! Now my question being if I donít use them holes will it leak?
No it will not leak if you leave the support bracket off. The tall bosses do NOT go all the way into the crossover.

But the bracket does provide some support for the alternator that will not be present if the bracket is left off.

Just wondering. Didn't the original car have this bracket?

I have replaced several modular intakes. It's a fair amount of work. It seems short sighted to me to cut such a corner on such a big job. Do the job right the first time. Do the job one time!

Last edited by wmburns; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:27 AM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

Maybe this will help.

Depending on your year, you may need to also buy the revised alternator bracket.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I believe Ford revised the bracket with all 4 holes. The bracket that LMR has only shows 3 holes.When installed correctly both of the alternator standoffs on the coolant crossover are used (5:46 on the LMR video). I just did a manifold replacement on my mom's '99 GT, though it was with a aftermarket manifold from RockAuto it did not have the correct bracket. I got the alternator bracket from Amazon. All worked really well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	351.0 KB
ID:	612939  

2006 GT- Airaid Race CAI, 62mm BBK TB, SR Performance UD Pullies, FRPP Hot Rod Cams, CMDP's, Excedy Stage One Clutch and lightweight flywheel, Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with matching O/R H-Pipe & MBRP Street Axlebacks, Lito 91 Octane Tune
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
Rookie

Sounds like you are talking about the mounting holes for the alternator bracket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page