HELP PLEASE cylinder 4 misfire??? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008 Thread Starter
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

ok thanx...i sure hope i don't need a new engine myself...now when yours was misfiring on 7...could you not fix the problem and your only option left was to replace the engine?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

RandyStinchcomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliesolhan View Post
also how would the plugs get that far off?

here's prob how it happened:
platinum plugs have a platinum tip "annealed" to the center electrode and to the ground strap and on cars that sea alot of high-speed or extended high speed driving, over a period of time those little platinum tips come off and the next thing you know is you have a sparkplug that orginally had a gap of .054 and now goes to .065 or more because of the platinum tip loss and you develop a mis-fire....

so, to everybody, get those platinum plugs out, they are totally J U N K for the type of driving 95% of us do.....

post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008 Thread Starter
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

kewl...right on randy...im gonna grab them plugs this weekend...I will let ya know how things go!!

RandyStinchcomb

Quote:
ok thanx...i sure hope i don't need a new engine myself...now when yours was misfiring on 7...could you not fix the problem and your only option left was to replace the engine?

long story-short, I hurt #8 early in the year, new engine was on the way but there were some delays in getting everything needed to-do all the stuff I wanted to-do at once, so I decided run it the way it was untill I had all my **** together or the "stocker" blew-up (which it didn't)
I had damaged the piston and the threads in the head on #8 cyl at the track spraying a 150 shot, I got a little greedy wth the tune (my fault)...and-so I ran the rest season on 7 cyls
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008 Thread Starter
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

another question for you..im running a pretty big cam now...and my car when it idles you can really feel it...now when your in the car and it is idleing around 700...you can hear a rattle...but you can't hear it on the outside...i think it is coming from the trans...my buddy told me it was normal for a cam like im running...i don't think it is normal and can't figure out what the rattle is...any ideas bud?
RandyStinchcomb

Quote:
another question for you..im running a pretty big cam now...and my car when it idles you can really feel it...now when your in the car and it is idleing around 700...you can hear a rattle...but you can't hear it on the outside...i think it is coming from the trans...my buddy told me it was normal for a cam like im running...i don't think it is normal and can't figure out what the rattle is...any ideas bud?

no, not reallyatleast not wthout hearing it, could it be a convertor heat shield or the cover for the clutch fork rattle? or ?
Apprentice

Quote:
Is this a manual or auto? If manual does pushing in the clutch effect it?
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008 Thread Starter
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

ya it's a 5spd...but when the idle goes up to 1k the rattle is totally gone...that is why my buddy says it is the cam...i think there is something loose somewhere and can't find it...you only here it in the car, that is why it is so wierd to me.
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008 Thread Starter
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

it's not the cat heat sheilds...they where the first thing i checked....also when i hold the shifter firm while it is idleing i can dampen that sound...it kinda goes away.
RandyStinchcomb

well there is a small heat shield/brkt on the trans crossmember that holds the "H" pipe rubber hangers and also hold the rear O2 monitors that could be loose...
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008 Thread Starter
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

kewl i do know it is coming from that area...i will check her out...that noise is driving me crazy...im one of those guys when i hear the smallest of noises i gotta get it fixed!!
RandyStinchcomb

Quote:
kewl...right on randy...im gonna grab them plugs this weekend...I will let ya know how things go!!

ok, sounds good...now if you have a problem finding them, we have plenty in stock at @$1.95 each +s&h..........
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008 Thread Starter
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

what is shipping gonna cost?...If i order them off ya...it will be this weekend once i get paid!!!
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008 Thread Starter
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Randy im gonna order those off ya...they want 3.95 a piece at the ford dealer...so 1.95 plus shipping...witch should be around 5.95
RandyStinchcomb

Quote:
Randy im gonna order those off ya...they want 3.95 a piece at the ford dealer...so 1.95 plus shipping...witch should be around 5.95

sorry, thats $1.95 each on the sparkplugs, $15.60 for 8 + s&h

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page