HELP PLEASE cylinder 4 misfire??? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008 Thread Starter
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Angry HELP PLEASE cylinder 4 misfire???

Hey guys pretty upset...My check engine light came on...I had the codes read...cylinder 4 misfire and pending cylinder 4 misfire???...What would cause this?...I have no clue about these 4.6 motors....totally dif. than a 5.0...witch I grew up on...anyways one person told me I should not evan be driving the car now?...because I could blow the engine?...another said it should be kewl if it's not making any niose or feel slugish...witch it does not...and the oil pressure is fine...no smoke or anything....Please help me...I replaced the spark plugs, wires and ignition coils about 12k ago...and that was about 5years ago...Please fill me in on what to do and check?...thanx, charlie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008
RandyStinchcomb

cyl # 4 is the right/passenger side back at the firewall, could be a bad sparkplug wire or, sometimes we'll sea a coolant hose back there that goes to the heater core leak and drip coolant onto the sparkplug wire, causing a short or mis-fire.....

post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008 Thread Starter
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

ok so...it's either a plug or the wire...now another dude said it could be one of the ignition coils?...now would this not cause all on that side ignition coil to misfire?...Is it safe to drive till I can get it fixed?..thanx Randy

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008 Thread Starter
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

so the only causes are a bad plug or wire randy?...should i be driving it?...im bout to cry!!
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008
RandyStinchcomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliesolhan View Post
ok so...it's either a plug or the wire...now another dude said it could be one of the ignition coils?...now would this not cause all on that side ignition coil to misfire?...Is it safe to drive till I can get it fixed?..thanx Randy

I doubt if it's a coil pak, they are pretty stout and it should be OK to drive but I'd atleast pull #4 plug and take a look at it and sea if there is any coolant "puddling" in the sparkplug well....now as far as driving it, you should be fine

hell I raced 1/2 of the NMRA's 2000 season on 7 cyl wth my then "stock" 4.6 running 14.50's and still won a few races
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008 Thread Starter
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

ok...thanx bud...you really assured me...i wa so nervous...as soon as she cools off...i will do that...now i did just go out and check it...no coolant leak...all them hoses where replaced w/ the pi conversion...now i did spot a lil oil coming out around the valve cover oil fill...do u think i just got oil build up on the number 4 plug?...and also one more question would a misfire in 4 mean a blown cylinder???...this mustang shop is telling me a should not drive because it could be a blown cylinder???...but i think there just trying to get one over on me.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008
RandyStinchcomb

Quote:
ok...thanx bud...you really assured me...i wa so nervous...as soon as she cools off...i will do that...now i did just go out and check it...no coolant leak...all them hoses where replaced w/ the pi conversion...now i did spot a lil oil coming out around the valve cover oil fill...do u think i just got oil build up on the number 4 plug?...and also one more question would a misfire in 4 mean a blown cylinder???...this mustang shop is telling me a should not drive because it could be a blown cylinder???...but i think there just trying to get one over on me.

yeah, they dont have a clue..I've never heard of a blown cylinder before, unless someone was talking about a blown wheel cylinder for a car/truck wth drum brakes....

let it cool-off and pull #4 plug and sea if the tip has closed-up or is missing or???
you haven't been spraying it have you
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008 Thread Starter
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

nope have not had time to put the nos kit on yet...and I was like what are these guys talking about...one blown cylinder??...never heard of that either...im gonna wait till about 7pm till it is completly cool...and also the out side temp here is 110% w/ the humidity figured in...so im gonna wait on both the temps to drop a lil before I figure out what is going on...I will def let you know...once I figure something out!!...thanx for the help Randy!!!
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008 Thread Starter
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Ok update...i pulled the plug...and it was covered in grayish stuff and the gap was all the way at .65...so i replaced w/ new one set at .52...also I pulled the battery wire off to reset the computer and started her back up...no cel right now...but i will take her out for a spin shortly...also on the 5.0 motors all u had to do was pull the battery wire to reset the computer...now my question is did i do this right on my 4.6??
Apprentice

go by your local auto zone and ask them to hook the scan device up to your car and it will read a code they can look up. im very familiar with this is n my 00' after puttin the bottle on it i started misfirin on cylinder 4 n continued to drive it it didnt actually hurt the car except for 3 more going out but i drove it for about a month but u should be ok driving it. if you've changed the plugs n cant tell that its misfiring they can erase that code and if it your engine light doesnt come back on you fixed it

2000 GT-bolt ons---GONE
98 GT- 04 motor swap headers,bolt ons. 4.10 gears..---GONE.

1995 Rolling body- project time.
RandyStinchcomb

Quote:
Ok update...i pulled the plug...and it was covered in grayish stuff and the gap was all the way at .65...so i replaced w/ new one set at .52...also I pulled the battery wire off to reset the computer and started her back up...no cel right now...but i will take her out for a spin shortly...also on the 5.0 motors all u had to do was pull the battery wire to reset the computer...now my question is did i do this right on my 4.6??

ok, you did fine but if that plug was gapped at .065 are the other 7 that wide might want to check them too
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Plug

Quote:
If one plug was set to the wrong gap, they might ALL be the same - something to check out when you get the chance.

Disconnecting the battery resets the pcm on your car.

I suspect you have taken care of the problem! If more misfiring codes crop up, post back up here and we'll check it out.

tripleblack

"You can never be free until you let yourself go."
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008 Thread Starter
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

hey guys..thanx..i have taken my car on a test drive now....took it out for 30min...and no cel so far...I also can tell it needs a tune up bad...im thinking if that one was off that far...the others probally are to...im gonna get all new plugs this weekend...but i can't find anyone who carrries the plugs i need...i went to autozone and pepboys both of them did not have awsf-32ee plugs...anyone know where i can find these???...also randy and 1meangt how did you guys fix your misfiring problem???
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008 Thread Starter
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

also how would the plugs get that far off?
RandyStinchcomb

Quote:
hey guys..thanx..i have taken my car on a test drive now....took it out for 30min...and no cel so far...I also can tell it needs a tune up bad...im thinking if that one was off that far...the others probally are to...im gonna get all new plugs this weekend...but i can't find anyone who carrries the plugs i need...i went to autozone and pepboys both of them did not have awsf-32ee plugs...anyone know where i can find these???...also randy and 1meangt how did you guys fix your misfiring problem???

the "AW" series plugs, which were a 1/2 thread were discontinued a few years back and replaced wth the AG" series sparkplug, which is of a "full thread" design, now wthin the last few months, Motorcraft has changed the sparkplug 3ing system yet again and now they all start wth a "SP"....now you'll want atleast 1 heat range down from stock, so get a set of SP-505 (agsf-22-c) which are a copper core and gap them at .048 to .052 and Don't forget the dielectric grease for the boots and anti-size for the sparkplug threads....

how did I fix my problem new engine & heads

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page