2003 Mustang GT - Strange thud noise under hood - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009 Thread Starter
Rookie

2003 Mustang GT - Strange thud noise under hood

This thud noise is very inconsistent. It does not matter what speed I'm going, what gear I'm in, or how long the car has been running - I didn't hear the noise for about a month but it just started back up again - it comes and goes and is not necessarily heard every time I drive.

I left the car running, put the car in nuetral, and popped the hood during the time the noises were heard to see if I could at least figure out what area it was coming from. It was coming from a black cylinder located in very back corner of passanger side and it has pipes coming out of it. When the noise happens, this part shakes.

I can only descride it as a thud noise really - it is rather loud. I was wondering if anyone knows what that part is, or what the problem could be?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009
GT Member
5.0L Member

Sorry I can not help but I am sure some one here will. Welcome to AFM.

1995 GT Mustang
Mildly built 5.0, Rebuilt T5 Tran., Dual Friction Centerforce Clutch, 3.73 Gears, 17" Cobra R rims, Cobra R hood.............
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009
Banned
4.6L Member

It's your A/C accumulator. A black metal cylinder with plumbing running out the top. That's what the part is called.
I don't know why it's making thud noises. Do you hear the noise only when the A/C is on?
Sorry I can't be of more help, I've never messed with my A/C system.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009
GT Member
4.6L Member

maybe ur a/c cluch hooks and sends a purge through ur accumulator.. ur in utah take the thing off and get a a/c iliminator kit just a after market pulley u drop like 50lbs and u can re sell ur stuff for 150 or more.. cause fixin will cost alot. good luck

cams, and all basic bolt ons, arizen seats, cowl hood, and now my buckets got a hole in it (meaning im broke) but when i fix it ill have gears and some trany work
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009
Banned
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gostriderblack View Post
maybe ur a/c cluch hooks and sends a purge through ur accumulator.. ur in utah take the thing off and get a a/c iliminator kit just a after market pulley u drop like 50lbs and u can re sell ur stuff for 150 or more.. cause fixin will cost alot. good luck
Hmmm...I dunno if this person is into modding cars, bro. I'm kinda thinking they are looking for help with the problem. I could be wrong though. I don't know much about how the A/C system works, and I rarely even turn it on, so your idea is better than mine as to what's wrong.
I do agree with you on the fixing = expensive part though.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thank you everyone for being so helpful - I do not know much about cars so every little bit helps.
That does help me to know that's it's the a/c accumulator -
Very interesting though because it is about 30-40 degrees here and I haven't used the a/c for at least 2 months now. Hmmm.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to mell0
does anything else shake or does it specifically just shake that ac thing? if the whole engine shakes it could be a missfire...

2002 Procharged GT
351rwhp, 353rwtq
12.503 @ 113.08

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009 Thread Starter
Rookie

It just shakes the ac thing. I'm just hesitant to take it to a shop - I've found majority of the mechanics are dishonest.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009
GT Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody View Post
It just shakes the ac thing. I'm just hesitant to take it to a shop - I've found majority of the mechanics are dishonest.
ya i hear that i do all my own work cause shops around here go by book time and u do a book job of 10 hours in 5 and u charge me for it all i say screw off and the ones who dont do book time end up sayin well we had 3 bolts that gave us hell and we have 20 hours in the job.. id recomend askin ur friends, goin to local car hops, or drive ins, or i ask alot of guys i c at like safeway with a suped up car ask who they go to.

cams, and all basic bolt ons, arizen seats, cowl hood, and now my buckets got a hole in it (meaning im broke) but when i fix it ill have gears and some trany work
Banned
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mell0 View Post
does anything else shake or does it specifically just shake that ac thing? if the whole engine shakes it could be a missfire...
That's what my original thought about this problem was...a misfire causing the other sh*t to shake, and make noise. I'm not at all familiar with A/C probs. My probs in the past with A/C have been that it either works or it doesn't...and I don't really care much about A/C, personally. If it don't work I'll tear it all out.
On these cars, to fix the A/C could possibly require tearing the whole front interior of the car out, which would probably be costly.

Does your A/C work properly? I know you said it's cold there, but since we have only a vague idea of your problem, and can't be there to see it, then we can only give vague generalizations of how to fix your problem. Which means guessing.

Don't be discouraged though. There are alot of members here who know a lot more than I do about Mustangs. I'm researching the prob, and I'm sure someone else will add some info who has had experience with it.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks again to all for your feed back - it's definitely appreciated.

Yep, bought the car in September 2009 at 65k miles and used the a/c a few time and it seemed to work great - ran cold and the car didn't seem to loose any power.

I just want to make sure I can drive my car in the condition it is in without causing further damage. A friend of mine said that he thinks the thud happens when my car is trying to stop excess refrigerant from spilling over? That's just one theory though.

Hi All

Hello All, I have just joined this MB - mainly because I was searching on the net for a solution to my problem - which is a "thud" that happens every so often - it can happen when I am moving slowly or at speed, it can happen at the lights when I am stationary.

I was interested to hear the informative responses to the problem because the noise is the same as if I had hit a small log or a stone and it had come up under the car...nothing else seems to be a problem - no warning lights and no loss of liquid and no loss of power - it is a mystery - before I take it to the garage and have someone take it and me for a ride....! I wanted to get some expert advice and it seems as if the A/C Accumulator may be the problem....anyway it is a good start...Pete
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Special service messages 17531 2000-2004 mustang - thump noise when a/c clutch engages
some 2000-2004 mustangs may exhibit a thump noise when the a/c clutch engages. This noise may be due to the a/c lines or accumulator bottle contacting the bulkhead. To service, check for any contact between the bulkhead and a/c lines or accumulator bottle. If there is contact, insulate the lines or accumulator bottle with rubber or foam padding to eliminate the noise.
effective date: 02/02/2004

2003 MUSTANG GT AUTO. BBK CAI, ROUSH 75MM T-BODY, C&L PLENUM, STEEDA UDP, JBA CAT BACK, SLP X-PIPE, FRPP 4.10 GEAR, SCT TUNED ,KYB GR2, MACH1 SUBFRAMES, ROUSH LCA, NX PLATE WET KIT 100 SHOT . BULLITT FUEL DOOR. BEST TIME [email protected] 107.14 MPH ON STREET TIRES.--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page