Strange Grinding Noise 98gt - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Strange Grinding Noise 98gt

There is a brake grinding noise coming from the passenger side of my car. But its not the brakes. I took it to my mechanic to put it on a lift an could not make the noise. Sometimes it makes the noise(usually after higher speeds) but there is no effect on the perfomance of the car. My ac clucth is bad and grinds and seems to be suspect but the sound is in unision with the tires rotating(when coasting and slowing down). Its very stange any ideas?

KwakuZulu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009
PONY Member
5.0L Member

sounds like it could be a hub bearing if it didn't do it on the lift but does it when the weight of the vehicle is on the ground...as for the A/C clutch just make sure your A/C is off when you road test it

83 Mustang GT 5.0L HO

"If you win say little...if you lose say even less"

ASE Certified Tech
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Still makes noise with it off. The ac clutch is one of the detatachable ones where you dont need a new compresser. If it is the wheel bearing wouldnt the noise be god awful? It sounds more like the low brake indicator and its only audible when the car slows down while coasting (5-25mph).

KwakuZulu

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

The wear tab on the brakes wouldn't make noise when coasting unless they are really really bad. I agree with the wheel bearing, you can jack it up and see if there is any slack in the wheel, ie it can be moved by hand up and down or side to side. A heat gun is also useful, if the bearing is bad, the one wheel will be quite a bit hotter than the others after driving for a while.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Ya the brakes are a 45%ish so its not the wear indicator and the front struts are bad... so there is a little slack. What is the worst case scenario if i it is the wheel bearing? my wheel seizes and I cause an accident or unbearble noise?

KwakuZulu
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009
PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member

a caliper ? mabe ?

98 Camaro LS1 H/C/I
07 Mustang 4.0
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Do what racin366 said to check for it. The bearing would still make a noise even without any of the vehicle weight on it simple because there weight of the tire and rotor are pulling on it, it just won't be as bad and when its on the ground. You don't want to just go buying and replacing parts when you don't need too

83 Mustang GT 5.0L HO

"If you win say little...if you lose say even less"

ASE Certified Tech
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Worst case senario if it is the wheel bearing is it siezes, and gets you killed. In most cases I would say that's bad. Definitely not something you want to skimp on or try to wait out, its not worth the risk, if you absolutely must do it on the cheap you can go to a salvage yard and get a whole spindle, I've had to do this before on my old delivery cars back in the day, but its better to get a new bearing.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Angry

Ya I don't think it is the bearing... A death would be bad lol. I really think it has something to do with the ac clutch. I dont know its annoying becuase its not always there and I dont want a siezed wheel and death.

KwakuZulu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page