Degreeing Cams Tomorrow- Comp or CMS? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009 Thread Starter

Degreeing Cams Tomorrow- Comp or CMS?

Hey all. I am degreeing my cams tomorrow (Comps currently installed), but have a set of CMS cams on the shelf too. The Comps are custom grind, the CMS are N/A Stage 2.5. This has turned out to be a loooong project. I haven't driven the car since 2004, and I've owned the car since Nov. 1995. Based on my build, I'd like input on which cams I should install for the most power for N/A. My car has the following mods/upgrades:

- Teksid block bored 0.020" over
- Eagle Rods
- JE Pistons: 7cc Dish, Flycut
- Diamond piston rings
- '99 Windsor PI Heads, Ported/Polished, swirl dams shortened
- ModCamponents Billet Adjustable Cam Gears w/Arp bolts
- Every gasket replaced, every sensor on the motor/tranny is new
- All new chain guides, chains, tensioners
- Updated Solid crank gear
- OEM steel trigger wheel
- Team Breed Valve Covers
- Modmax Oversized Pro Stainless valves w/bronze guides
- ARP Fasteners throughout block
- Comp Valve Springs
- MMR Billet Oil Pump
- Federal Mogul Bearings
- Ported/Polished Upper Plenum
- Polished Accufab 70mm Throttle Body
- New Lightning MAF (using stock maf atm until I can figure out CAI solution for larger tube)
- New 24# Injectors
- New 9mm Plug Wires
- PI Intake, Alum Crossover
- Cooling MOD
- Upgraded Aluminum radiator (want Fluidyne)
- Chrome Meziere Electric Water Pump
- Chrome Tuff Stuff 200a Alternator
- 4R70W with hardened input shaft and 3200 rpm stall, JMod, all upgraded internals
- FRPP Shorty Ceramic headers
- Basanni X-Pipe w/cats
- Flowmaster 40's 2-Chamber catback
- FRPP 4.10's
- Detroit TruTrac 31 Spline Diff
- Mosier 31 Spline Axles
- FMS Rear Girdle Cover
- Arp Carrier Studs
- New axle bearings/seals
- Granatelli K-Member, A-Arms, Coil Overs
- Engergy Susp. offset rack bushings
- AGX Struts up front
- Tokico Illumina Shocks in rear
- Eibach Pro Springs in rear
- UPR Upper and Lower Control Arms
- Chrome Strut Tower Brace
- UPR Caster/Camber Plates
- Full length Subframe connectors
- Brembo Cobra R GT front brakes w/slotted rotors
- Cobra rear brakes
- SFI Romac Aluminum (Steel Center) Balancer w/Arp bolt
- SFI JW Flexplate w/Arp fasteners
- Billet Fuel Regulator
- 225LPH In-tank fuel pump
- Canton Road Race pan, w/windage tray
- New Paint (complete color change, car was nearly completely disassembled)
- Ford OEM Euro Taillights with amber turn signals
- Full Autometer Nexus gauges
- 2000 Cobra R Carbon Fiber hood with working vents
- 18x9 / 18x10 Boyd Coddington Smoothie II Polished wheels
- Shaved antenna (have to come up with an internal antenna of some sort)

Static Compression 11.7:1

Custom grind CompCams:
Duration @ .050 Int=234 Exh=234, Gross Lift = .545/.545, 113 lobe sep.
Timing at 108 centerline .050:
Intake open 9* BTDC, close 45* ABDC
Exhaust open 55* BBDC, close 1* ATDC

CMS Stage 2.5 N/A:
Duration @ .050 Int=230 Exh=237, Gross Lift = .571/.567, 109 lobe sep.
Timing at 109 centerline .050:
Intake open 9* BTDC, close 44* ABDC
Exhaust open 47.5* BBDC, close 9.5* ATDC

Given the high compression, which cams do you think will work best? I plan on a dyno tune within a month or so, possibly sooner (SCT dealer here in Pensacola) Any advice would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Send a message via AIM to BlueStreak03 Send a message via Yahoo to BlueStreak03
I'd go for the CMS cams. The extra lift will go a pretty good way towards moving air in and out.

It's been forever since you've posted on here man. What the heck have you been up to?

"Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it."

John Adams
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak03 View Post
I'd go for the CMS cams. The extra lift will go a pretty good way towards moving air in and out.

It's been forever since you've posted on here man. What the heck have you been up to?
Well, I may have screwed myself on the cam debate. I have comp beehive springs, which are only rated to .550 lift (covers all the 2v cams from comp), so I'll run the custom comps first. Once I have more time (:hihi: probably another 5 years), I'll install springs and the CMS (or just sell the CMS's and call it a day).

Has been a very long while since I've posted on any of the boards. I've been working on this particular car so long, and with work, wife, kids, etc I haven't been able to do much fun stuff. I've only got a few more parts to put on this freakin car before the dyno. It's been a long time coming with this one. My 20 year old son is on his 9th Mustang now, and I've spent most of my time helping him tinker. Good to see you again, Blue!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

please post numbers when done that is one nice list

1990 mustang gt 5.0l, red, aod- its build time

2001 mustang gt lots of mods- sold
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Hey Milzey, if you think about it while you're installing those cams, write down some notes on the process and post them up for others to enjoy. We've had a BUNCH of cam/head questions and most of the folks here are kinda new to the idea of degreeing cams. Some notes would be AWESOME!

I know how you feel being busy man. I'm workin full time and spent the last semester with a full time class schedule to go with that. To add on, my wife has had all my free time occupied with planning this new house that we're starting next year.

"Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it."

John Adams
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Brutal Metal
Great Motor combo but don't take this wrong..
With ALL those Mods why the heck didn't you through some 03-04 Cobra 4V heads on?

99 SVT Cobra-Teksid.020(284ci)
Stock HCI,Manley Pistons & H Beam Rods
Polished Vortech V-2,Reichard 3.10/6.75ATI(14lbs Boost)
GodSpeed SpecV Intercooler,60's,Twin Aviator's,
04 SVT Tank/Twin Hat,SCT-BA5000,BF IRS Brace
MPH Powerpipe,ProCharger BPV,
Mac O/R H & 2.5 CB
Vogtland Springs,Bilsteins,MM CC Plates,Steeda Tri-Ax,MT ET Streets
Home of Worlds Fastest All Ford Outlaw 10.5 Car 4.03/200.80 Fordspeed Racing
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Brutal, this was a build that he started YEARS ago and is just now getting the chance to complete. Before the 03-04 Cobra even hit the roads.

BTW man JLT CAI's and a 75mm throttle body would do wonders for this setup. I don't think the 70mm and stock intake tube are going to cut it with all the head work and hot cams.

John Adams
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009 Thread Starter

Quote:
Hey Milzey, if you think about it while you're installing those cams, write down some notes on the process and post them up for others to enjoy. We've had a BUNCH of cam/head questions and most of the folks here are kinda new to the idea of degreeing cams. Some notes would be AWESOME!

I know how you feel being busy man. I'm workin full time and spent the last semester with a full time class schedule to go with that. To add on, my wife has had all my free time occupied with planning this new house that we're starting next year.

Wow... just got done with the degree process. I am amazed the engine would even run! The last idiots that touched my motor had the passenger side cam nearly 45* off, and when I installed the motor after getting it back from them, zero compression on the passenger side. I removed the pass valve cover and noticed the cam mistake. I eyeballed it using my adjustable cam gears, and got the motor to crank, but of course the cams needed to be degreed. The passenger side was sitting at 131 centerline! Yikes. Thank God for flycut pistons. I have the passenger installed at 107.5, and the driver side at 108. This was using the centerline method. I did check the "duration @ .050" method afterwards, and they were dead on.

Degreeing in car is a PITA!!!

I am going to post some details on the degree process later, but here is a great page to check for info: Classic Inlines Cam Degreeing

I did use the custom grind comps this time, since I remembered I have the .550 lift comp beehive springs. The will not work with the CMS cams. I might sell them, or install some new springs and the CMS cams later in 2010 for a comparison.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009 Thread Starter

Quote:
Brutal, this was a build that he started YEARS ago and is just now getting the chance to complete. Before the 03-04 Cobra even hit the roads.

BTW man JLT CAI's and a 75mm throttle body would do wonders for this setup. I don't think the 70mm and stock intake tube are going to cut it with all the head work and hot cams.
Geez. Feels like decades ago! Brutal, my goal is to wow myself and some others with a nice, beefy N/A 2v that still has street manners.

I'll see how the accufab 70mm does. As for CAI, I have to work out a solution to house my LMAF while still using my chrome STB. I love the look of the JLT's, and I don't know if I want a filter in the fender or in the engine bay with a heat shield. Any suggestions on CAI's for my LMAF?
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Nice setup, should be a healthy performer, get a good tune though, with the high compression you don't want any detonation on pump gas. I don't really have anything to add about the CAI, I've been using the same for a long long time, can't even remember what brand, but the filter is under the hood with a heat shield, it works pretty good. If you end up selling those cams, let me know, I'm trying to find some bare PI heads that I can port, etc in my spare time, and cams would be nice, but while job hunting I think its more of a dream then anything I can actually make happen for now. Good luck getting her on the road and enjoy.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Call JLT up and see if they'll send you the MAF mounting plate for a Lightning MAF and the rest of the intake for a 2V 4.6L. Or you can get the 2V CAI and just modify and clearance the plate that comes with it to work with your MAF.

John Adams
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Brutal Metal
I'd look into the JLT RAI intake setup, they have an MAF adapter that is a direct match for the Lightning 90MM, and they come with the best flowing air filter the S&B!
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/7317/svtcobra095.jpg

99 SVT Cobra-Teksid.020(284ci)
Stock HCI,Manley Pistons & H Beam Rods
Polished Vortech V-2,Reichard 3.10/6.75ATI(14lbs Boost)
GodSpeed SpecV Intercooler,60's,Twin Aviator's,
04 SVT Tank/Twin Hat,SCT-BA5000,BF IRS Brace
MPH Powerpipe,ProCharger BPV,
Mac O/R H & 2.5 CB
Vogtland Springs,Bilsteins,MM CC Plates,Steeda Tri-Ax,MT ET Streets
Home of Worlds Fastest All Ford Outlaw 10.5 Car 4.03/200.80 Fordspeed Racing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page