1998 Ford Mustang Power Seat Track Attachment Broken: Help! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009 Thread Starter
4.6L Member

1998 Ford Mustang Power Seat Track Attachment Broken: Help!

Hi. This is my first posting on these forums. I'm not really a car nut, though I do love my Mustang. I purchased the Chilton manual in order to replace my fuel filter & pump about 2 years ago, and enjoyed the process.

I'm writing here because I'm experiencing a problem that I'm hopeful someone could shed some light on:

In my 1998 Mustang, a metal connecting piece has snapped in half-- this bit of metal appears to have been what held the driver's side seat in the front left to the power seat track. The power seat track still functions smoothly, but the seat itself is canted at a downwards-front left angle, and any time I accelerate the seat is literally leaning back a bit ( though not completely as it's obviously still attached in the front right ).

When I had a look at the area, I noticed this small piece of metal ( perhaps 2-2.5" in length, 1.25" in width ) that snapped. It appears to be darker in color, and held into the seat ( not the track ) by a 1" diameter circular button-shaped piece of metal.

My question is, this piece of metal that snapped:

1. How do I remove it? ( I completely understand that without photographs I may not be conveying well precisely what piece this is, but I'm hoping someone will know )
2. In order to replace it, will I be able to purchase just a new small metal bit, or will I need to purchase a new power seat track? Or a new seat?
3. Finally, and this is really reaching, could someone possibly provide:

- Sequence of replacement steps
- Tools necessary

...I'm fairly handy when fully apprised of details involved in sophisticated labor, so I think this is something I could easily manage. But I'm not sure if I'd need to remove the seat, for example, etc etc.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Damian

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009
Apprentice
Classic Member

I have not taken apart this set up before. But one way to get the part is to go to your local dealer and have them print out the parts diagram for the seat your working on. Point out the part and they can order it. From what I have seen in other makes and models the power seat rails actually hold the seat to the floor, but the does come off the seat, Im sure someone in the forums can help more.

P.S. welcome to the site!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page