What is That smell? Electrical from engine bay? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

Question What is That smell? Electrical from engine bay?

Hi I am new here. I have an issue with a 2002 mustang gt. It is making a chirping sound and a funny smell is coming up from the left rear of the engine comp. close to the fire wall. It kinda smells like a burning electrical. rescently it had an idle problem, so i cleaned out the idle air control sensor and It runs alot better but now this new chirping and smell prob pop up. I also recently replaced two plug boots because of misfiring, no more misfire. If anyone has any ideas it would be appreciate.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Welcome to the site!

2000 GT 14.5 sec @ 98 mph
SCT tuner...SLP powerflo catback...JLT short ram intake...Typhoon intake manifold...Professional products throttle body...C&L intake plenum...Steeda underdrive pulleys...Steeda tri-ax short throw shifter...05-09 Mustang GT shift knob...Steeda adjustable clutch cable, firewall adjuster, and quadrant kit...Eibach front sway bar...Steel strut bar...Tokico shocks...Polyurethane spring isolators...J&M rear lower control arms...Powerslot rotors...Nitto tires
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Hey, welcome to AFM. You're gonna love it here. Any questions that you need answered I can guarantee someone will know the answer. This is a great site, with a bunch of great members

07 White GT Premium/ Eibach Pro Kit/ 2010 GT500 staggered wheels/NITTO 555R Tires/ GT Headrests/ Straight Pipes with 4inch stainless tips/ 5% tint/ Apline sound system.
*RIP*(Dad, Grandpa, Jared, and many others)
*I've learned from my mistakes, and I'm becoming a better person because of them*

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010
GT Member
Mustang II Member

Welcome to the forums.

1978 Ford Mustang Cobra II - Big Red
'96 302 with a 4bbl Holley carb, Performer Intake, Keith Black pistons, and a 268H Comp Cam.

2003 V6 Mustang - Little Blue
DD Corner Carver
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
We'll find you some help in here.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

So I think it could be a clutch problem. There is a ticking coming from the back of the motor compartment along with the smell. When I push in the clutch until I feel resistance the ticking goes away. Throwout Bering? Also does anyone know how much a clutch will be to replace. I have access to a shop with a lift and tools, but I have never done any transmission or clutch work. would you recommend replacing a clutch without experience? Thanks!!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010
Rookie

The smell is likley your clutch and your right about the throw out bearing. If your going to put a new clutch in I would suggest finding a good trany guy who will do it for you,when I did mine I had a guy do it for me for $300 and parts were about $350. I would also suggest replacing the pilot bearing while you have the trans out as well they also tend to make noise after a while.

She's a 2003 Stage 1 Roush (just a really pretty GT) has the stock 4.6 2v with K&N Fipk, Bama Performance Tune, O/R Mac H pipe, Magna Flow Side Exhaust (from Roush), Hurst Short Throw, 31 Spline Axles, 3.73 gears, Ford Racing Traction Lock, Wildwood 6 piston front brakes, stock Roush 18x9front/18x10 rear rims.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member

clutch

It is the clutch for sure, I noticed my car started smelling a little like paint burning, I ran the car up to around 80 in 3rd one day and noticed it, then a buddy wanted a ride along and I ran it up all the way through 4th, it did it again.

Then a few weeks later it started chirping. Get you a new clutch.

11 5.0
3.73s and Brembo's
6 speed gear jammer, thats all!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

is the clutch release bearing the same thing as the throw out bearing?
Rookie

yes the clutch release bearing is the same as the throw out bearing

She's a 2003 Stage 1 Roush (just a really pretty GT) has the stock 4.6 2v with K&N Fipk, Bama Performance Tune, O/R Mac H pipe, Magna Flow Side Exhaust (from Roush), Hurst Short Throw, 31 Spline Axles, 3.73 gears, Ford Racing Traction Lock, Wildwood 6 piston front brakes, stock Roush 18x9front/18x10 rear rims.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
noise , smell

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page