2003 Mustang GT ticking coming from clutch - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

2003 Mustang GT ticking coming from clutch

Hey guys, I have a 2003 Mustang GT. It has a stage 2 clutch and a short throw shifter. It just started making a ticking/rubbing sound that is coming from what sounds like the clutch/flywheel area. It is sometimes louder than other times. It does it whether the clutch is pushed in or let out when it is in neutral. When it is in gear it only does it when the clutch is pressed in. It stops when I start letting out on the clutch and the clutch starts to grab. The ticking gets faster if I rev the engine up. I can feel the vibration from it in the shifter too. I was just wondering if you guys may be able to give me some hints of what it might and how serious it may be before I go taking the transmission out of it. Thanks for all your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Mine does the same thing. Mine also when im when im setting still it also makes a moaning or whining noise. I was thinking it may be the throwout bearing or slave cylinder. How long has it since the Stage 2 clutch was put in?

03 Silver GT
SMR #332

My 2v build - MMR 1000 rotating assembly, stage 3 heads/cams, 76mm turbo. Shooting for 700rwhp+.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

I was kinda thinking the same thing. It sounds a lot like a bearing going out. I've never noticed it whinning though. I'll try to pay more attention. It's hard to hear some things. It's got SLP headers and full slp exhaust with resonators/no cats so it's pretty loud. Anyways, I just bought the car about 2k miles ago. The previous owner said the clutch had been put in about 11k miles ago. So 15k at the most. The car only has 68k mile on it.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010
Apprentice

Sounds like the TOB to me. My buddy just had the same thing happen to him and that's what was wrong. Had to take appart the transmision to fix it. That's the crap part.

Good luck fixing your car.

2000 GT Convertible. Weekend Car. - sold.
2000 F150 Harley Davidson. Daily Driver.
2011 mustang. red candy.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

my 2000 does it, stock clutch and trans...u r not alone

but Im not in any mood to replace a throw out bearing in a T-5 rather run it into the ground, then upgrade thats just me though

'04 SY Cobra~ Whippled
'04 CO Cobra~Whippled
'93 GT
'08F150 Lariat Lifted & Murdered
'03 Cobra ~ Sold
'00 GT ` Sold
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

so what will happen if I just keep driving it? Am I risking tearing a lot of other stuff up if I don't fix it right away?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

na youll be fine eventually though if wont let u engage and stuff but i had my clutch replaced at 100k and my tob is already chirping again my car has 103k on it now! yeah.. sucks i know but they replacing it now

2004 Mustang SVT (GT conversion)
5spd, KnN CAI kit, Accufab 75mm TB & Plenum, Tri-Ax Short Throw Shifter, Steeda Underdrive Pullies, Magnaflow Magnapacks catback, Bassani Mid-lenght headers, Dr. Gas o/r X-pipe, Aluminum Driveshaft, 4.10 Ford Raceing Gears, SCT 4 Bank Custome Chip, Custom Roush Shaker, MM Subframe Connectors, Tokico Struts.
2005 Harley Davidson Custom Roadster 1200
Orange with Blue flames... WAR EAGLE!!!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

sounds like this is a problem with the mustangs. does any aftermarket companys make a better tob for the mustangs or is stock the best one you can buy?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010
Banned
4.6L Member

Ford Racing M-7548-A Ford Racing Throwout Bearings
I think I need one too...I wonder if cold weather has something to do with it...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

I was wondering that myself because it was extremely cold here last week and that is when it started. It's warmed up about 20 degrees from last week and it's still doing it but it's a lot quieter now. Although if that were the case then I think it would get quieter when the clutch and trans warmed up also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page