1998 Mustang GT hard to start! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

Exclamation 1998 Mustang GT hard to start!

ok last summer when i bought my 98 gt it took a few cranks for the car to start but now in the winter it cranks and cranks until the battery runs dead. any ideas why its hard to start i would like it to start right up of course.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010
GT Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Digger
The problem could consist of quite a number of variables. I can only speak to my personal experience with my 2000 Stang. I had a similar experience and, to make a 'very' long story short, it turned out to be the electric fuel pump. I ended up dropping the tank, replacing the pump & filter. It hasn't caused a problem (with the ignition) since. However, I did have a heads up. I purchased an OBDII diagnostics unit and pulled the code that led me to the problem. I also bought a Haynes repair that has proven to be extremely helpful for years now.

One question: have you tried running diagnostics to see if there are any codes?

The road to enlightenment can be a bumpy one. The road to stupidity.....deadly.

...Bob Sintzel 2010

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010
Rookie
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musthavspeed View Post
ok last summer when i bought my 98 gt it took a few cranks for the car to start but now in the winter it cranks and cranks until the battery runs dead. any ideas why its hard to start i would like it to start right up of course.
98 gt's had problems with the fuel pump. bad check valve in them, it won't keep pressure to the injectors. when was the last time you changed plugs & wires?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

ok is there a better fuel pump that i can get and put in? also i havent changed the plugs or wires yet i was waiting for the spring time. btw i dont have any check engine lights on should i run the diagnostics anyway? however i was thinking fuel filter may be dirty. also something easy to start with.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010
Rookie
4.6L Member

changing the fuel filter is cheap, easy and only takes a few minutes so if you've never done it maybe now is a good time. when you turn your ignition to on can you hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds? you can test your fuel pressure by attaching a fuel pressure gauge to the schrader valve on your fuel rail. i'm not quite sure off hand what the acceptable psi range is, but you can find that in a manual or online. Also, you might want to try removing the iac and cleaning the inside with carb cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page