tr3650 in 1996 Mustang gt ? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

tr3650 in 1996 Mustang gt ?

i am looking at putting a tremec 3650 in my stang, since i need a new transmission, and my buddy happens to have one of these laying around for cheap. i know my transmission has the gear setup while his is the magnetic pick-up style sensor. do i just remove that magnetic pick-up and swap my gear/sensor onto that tailshaft ? i looked at the write-up on here but was unclear if they actually swap out from one tailshaft to the other, or if you have to remove the whole tailshaft from transmisison to put into the other transmission

thanks
mike

96 rio red 5spd gt.... project in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010
Apprentice

That is exactly what I am having to do with my new trans. I am swapping tail shafts, the guy who is helping me do the swap at his shop said he will have to press on my old gears I am pressuming from the old tailshaft to the new one. I don't know if this is because I have an auto but he talks really fast when he talks about cars and sometimes it's hard to understand but that's pretty much what I got out of it.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010
PONY Member

The T3650 will not work on your 1996 because of the VSS. The T3650 did not come with a mechanical gear ring, therefore, none exist to be swapped in.

From 96-01.5 they are all T45's. The tail shaft housing and rings can be swapped among those years. From 96-98, it was a mechanical gear ring and from 99-01.5 are a magnetic reluctor ring.

Both the gear driven VSS and the magnetic VSS are two different sizes.

It might work if you change your cluster to a newer one and ???
Bottom line, its not worth it.

2007 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 M6 - Stock
1988 Mustang Notch 2.3 5 speed - 100% stock down to cassette player! - SOLD
2000 Mustang GT - (White) - yeah, its modified. *SOLD* (2012-2013)
2000 Mustang GT (Blue), 5 speed Saleen Clone *SOLD* (2008-2011)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010
PONY Member
5.0L Member

I would stick with the T45. The T3650 has a lot of problems and is a PITA.

MARK
92 RED GT 5 Spd
Still trying to find out what is on it.
2002 Silver GT 5 Spd
Gone. 4/10
94 Teal GT 5 spd
Offroad X pipe, 2.5" MAC catback, Underdrives, Steeda springs F/R, Lowered 3.08's, Smog delete Sold 12/7/09
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

that sounds good ... i know you can use a speed-cal to correct the funky speedo reading when using the VSS from a 99+ style speedo, just didnt know if the speedometer gears could be swapped onto the 3650 shaft ... thanks for the headsup about the problems .. i will make sure and stay away from it then

96 rio red 5spd gt.... project in progress
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010
Rookie

I have a car with this EXACT swap. Took out the t-45 and had a sweet deal on the t3650.

It was a while ago, but to switch the transmissions, you need to custom modify the crossmember (was a PITA, and it still isn't sitting 100%).

They are the exact same length and diameter, and you do NOT need to worry about changing the housing or shortening the driveshaft.

There is one other part needed, the Dallas Mustang EXTENDED RANGE speedcal. It is around $100 and it is made to convert the mechanical signal into an electrical one. You must call them once the car is hooked up with the speedcal and i believe it is Justin that you need to talk to about which switches to turn on after doing a series of tests.

The only issue I am having and have had since before the transmission swap is inoperative cruise control. I checked the actuator switches, they are all great. No fuses blown, new speed control amplifier installed, and nothing. If anyone can give me some guidelines as to what else to check it would be greatly appreciated!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010
Rookie

the tr3650 is a POS!!! way to many problems.. stick with a borg warner trans killa!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page