2004 Mustang GT with weird idling problems. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

2004 Mustang GT with weird idling problems.

Hey guys I recently purchased a 2004 Mustang GT with 82,000 miles. The engine runs great but often when it's stopped completely the idle dips down to between 600 and 900 rpms and sometimes just dies alltogether. But this doesn't happen every time I drive it, sometimes it's fine.

I've cleaned the Mass Air Sensor and the Idle Air Control and checked for vacuum leaks, all to no avail. The weird thing is that when the car is coasting in neutral it doesn't have any problems but when I come to a complete stop it starts dipping and sputtering.

I purchased this car already with a number of modifications on it. Since I haven't pulled the engine apart I only know the obvious mods which are: BBK cold air intake, throttle body and plenum. It also has straightpipes with no catalytic converters. I'm only mentioning this stuff in case any of this would contribute to the problem.

It was suggested to me to get a Diablo or SCT tuner and see if tuning it fixes the problem but that's obviously a big investment. I wanted you guys' thoughts before I made a move.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Have a look at the air filter and spark plugs.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010
Rookie
4.6L Member

all u did was clean the IAC that isnt to good of a fix. i cleaned mine and it fixes the problem for a short period of time but after a little driving the idle issues come right back. its better just to go ahead and replace ur IAC. Also u your PCV valve could cause that. hit up autozone and replace the PCV, best 3 dollars youll ever spend. Theres one more thing. take ur throttle body off and make shur to clean the back and front of the butterfly plate and walls good with carburator cleaner. this should fix ur problem. good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
2004 gt , idle problems , modifications , tuner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page