4.6L 2v swap in a 1993 Mustang 2.3L... - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Cool 4.6L 2v swap in a 1993 Mustang 2.3L...

Okay so i have a 92 mercury grand w/e parked it has from what i understand a 4.6L 2v engine.. If i was to take this motor and get it bored over and rebuilt with new everything and get all the parts (kmember, tranny, rearend, etc etc..) would it be worth it? If i replace the heads with 4v heads is this possible? or is the block different?.. I'm wanting to do a v8 swap in the near future... It was either buy a 5.0 crate motor for 3500 or take this 4.6 and get it rebuilt..

Thanks. :laughlitt

EDIT: oh and i found this wiring harness but it says 3v why wouldnt it work in a 2v or would it?
http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com...-6017-463v.htm
:nogrinner

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to mell0
it would probably be easier and cheaper to swap in a 5.0. you can buy all of the components for wicked cheap, and you can build it how you like it.

for example, a boss 302 shortblock:
Buy Ford Racing Parts - NEW!! BOSS 302 Short Block Kit

everything forged, a beast of a motor. slap some gt40 heads on there, a nice cam, and a nice intake and wallah!

i would imagine the 5.0 would have no trouble mounting up, whereas you would have to do some work to make a 4.6 fit in.

2002 Procharged GT
351rwhp, 353rwtq
12.503 @ 113.08

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to Star_FoxBody Send a message via Yahoo to Star_FoxBody
couldnt he jus take the k member out of the grand marquis?
duno jus spittin ideas here
jus take everything out from under the grand marquis and throw it under the stang, i dont know if it would work or not but maybe

XD-kyle-XD
1999 Ford SVT Lightning
1990 Mustang Notch
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

i was wondering the same thing and how about the rear end ?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010
PONY Member
5.0L Member

i have no idea but if i was doing that i think id try it haha

XD-kyle-XD
1999 Ford SVT Lightning
1990 Mustang Notch
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010
Apprentice

just buy a wrecked 5.0 and rob the engine and tranny and rear end out of that donor car. its the eisiest way. or my fav idea find a turbo t-bird, and rob the turbo 2.3 and the ecu. now thats the simplest way to make it fast and pretty rare. the turbo 2.3 im 87 made like 205 hp and more torque on real low boost.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

For what it would cost to have your 2V converted to 4V, make it work, and get everything else... you could put in a really nasty 351W. That's what I would do. Can you say 408 stroker on smack?

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1sc02gt View Post
just buy a wrecked 5.0 and rob the engine and tranny and rear end out of that donor car. its the eisiest way. or my fav idea find a turbo t-bird, and rob the turbo 2.3 and the ecu. now thats the simplest way to make it fast and pretty rare. the turbo 2.3 im 87 made like 205 hp and more torque on real low boost.
that would be much easier ^ maybe see if you can trade the grand marquis for a wrecked 5.0 or something

XD-kyle-XD
1999 Ford SVT Lightning
1990 Mustang Notch
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

ahh i have so many decisions.. i found a turbo merkur 2.3 still intact with turbo and harness.. no ecu i think.. for 480 at a junk yard.. would my tranny and rear end work with this motor ?...
Apprentice

yes your 2.3 n/a tranny and rear end will work. its really a decent setup since your rear end bieng a 4cyl car has 373 gears, and it will handle the power of the turbo 4. you will need to get a clutch upgrade, however. i love this idea to be honest. with a little tuning, by a bigger turbo, injectors, fmic and a good tune u should have no problem getting 300hp out of the engine. it would be a good idea to put a better 3 layer head gasket on to handle the boost increase.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

3layer head gasket?.. that would work?.. whats fmic, and i have an automatic trans.. < clutch upgrade??
Apprentice

yes u will want to find a company that sells a better head gasket. as a former dsm (turbo eclipse) owner, when running higher boost on a bigger turbo u will need a better gasket, and generally they are a layerd steel type. check around. google it. FMIC-(front mount intercooler) as opposed to the type the 2.3t came with. it came with one mouted on top the engine. and the auto will work, but itd be best to rob the 5speed out of the car u get the engine from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page