1996 Non-PI to 2001-2003 PI engine swap - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

1996 Non-PI to 2001-2003 PI engine swap

I am looking for information on swapping my 1996 GT 4.6L with Manual transmission motor for a used low mileage 2001-2003 Mustang GT 4.6L engine. Are there any difficulties to doing this swap? Any difficulties bolting my coil packs on the new motor? will all my accesorries transfer over? Do i have to worry about the motor coming from an Automatic and my computer or harness not working? Might change the cams to a slightly better grind, any suggestion on cams (good torque and HP w/o redlining it to achive the gains)?

Currently 1996 Mustang GT Beater
everything stock and from the looks of it everything original down to the busted suspension
(Changing and updating one peice at a time)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2010
Banned
4.6L Member

You can look at the PI swap write-up that is in the stickies for info, and also use the search function.
This question pops up almost every day on this forum, so there is a ton of information available about it.

Rookie
4.6L Member

Sticky is for the PI swap (heads and intake) i am wanting to swap the complete engine. I have read through roughly 100 or so threads and have a good idea but some say it will not work if the replacement engine came from an automatic and it is going into a manual. Prefer not to do the "PI-swap" unless i can not do the complete engine swap or find a low mileage 2001-2003 replacement engine for under $1,000.

everything stock and from the looks of it everything original down to the busted suspension

Old 03-08-2010
Apprentice

I just recently completed my complete PI engine swap into my 96 GT; there are a few things that will need to be swapped over like the timing chain cover from your old motor to your new one, you'll need to run your old fuel rails with your new motor, I used my old fuel injectors as well as my computer was set-up to run with my old ones, obviously you'll have to swap over the coil packs, and I'm drawing a blank for right now I'll take a look at my stang and see if I can remember what else we did if anything. Good luck on the swap it's well worth the time.
Old 03-08-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member

who ever said the bell houseing is diffrent between the auto and manual was not very smart. the motor is the same they do not change for auto tranny's or manual.. it should be a direct swap the motors are the same just the heads are diffrent and manifold. you will actually get more power useing ur non pi motor though and just doing a pi swap.

cams, and all basic bolt ons, arizen seats, cowl hood, and now my buckets got a hole in it (meaning im broke) but when i fix it ill have gears and some trany work
Rookie
4.6L Member

I think the automatic transmission post was talking about a possible problem with wiring harness.

Old 12-02-2013
Rookie

im looking to do this same swap if im able to get the complete motor with wiring harness and computer do i need to swap anything from my motor to it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in