Backfires! Magnaflow w/ H-pipe & cats... Running to Rich? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

Exclamation Backfires! Magnaflow w/ H-pipe & cats... Running to Rich?

It does have cats and they look smaller than what I would have expected? It also has an H pipe not an X pipe. If its running rich or has weak spark what would be the most efficient way of dealing with that? I dont have a tuner or anything. Maybe plugs and wires? It does have 80,000 miles on it? I'm pretty mechanical so is there any adjustments I can make myself? Its not a daily driver so I would prefer it ran a little lean than rich, Any ideas???

2000 Gt "Midnight" Edition, Work Hard, Drive Fast!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010
SheizaSoSay

1.Clean the MAF sensor
2.Check plugs condition with a comparative look at a haynes manual to decipher the condition (it has pics in the back, plus the internet probably has a crap load)
3.Check airfilter
Possibly, clogged ****** old fuel filter that's actually making you run lean and backfiring at the intake manifold (that would be a lean condition though)
If you don't have a tuner then I doubt you have a tune which would mean your timing isn't too far advanced so that's not an issue.
Basically backfire occurs because A/F ratio is off. So just check the simple stuff you can get to since you can't plug a tuner into it and read. Do you have a check engine light on?

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheizaSoSay View Post
1.Clean the MAF sensor
2.Check plugs condition with a comparative look at a haynes manual to decipher the condition (it has pics in the back, plus the internet probably has a crap load)
3.Check airfilter
Possibly, clogged ****** old fuel filter that's actually making you run lean and backfiring at the intake manifold (that would be a lean condition though)
If you don't have a tuner then I doubt you have a tune which would mean your timing isn't too far advanced so that's not an issue.
Basically backfire occurs because A/F ratio is off. So just check the simple stuff you can get to since you can plug a tuner into it and read. Do you have a check engine light on?
Just because HE doesn't have a tuner, doesn't mean someone else didn't have one and install one of those so called custom canned tune files. If he bought the car used, there's a lot of variables that can come into play. If the car has a canned tune, his timing could be way off. Backfiring through the throttle body, is usually a sign that the timing is off. Cleaning the MAF, and checking the plugs is good and should be done anyway. It's all part of preventive maintenance, changing the fuel filter is another thing he should do especially if he bought it used. When you buy a used vehicle, you never know what has been done and when unless the previous owner kept all maintenance records and gave them to him with the car. And even at that you still don't really know, Mike. SCT Tuner. P.S. If you want to check your air/fuel ratio, just put it on a dyno and tell the tuner what you want to do. If you know the shop well enough, he may do it for no charge or $30 tops. You'll know if it's running rich, just by putting your right foot down and checking for black smoke coming from your tail pipe. If your exhaust feels real hot, then it's running lean. Good luck, Mike.

70 BOSS,with a 71 429 SCJ 8.0:1 compression with an F-3 Pro Charger and 39lbs. of boost. Rectangular Tube Chassis, Custom 17" Magnum 500 Wheels. Just way too much to list, but what a ride. P.S. Hang on tight!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
backfire , backfires , exhaust , lean , rich

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page