2003 Mustang mach 1, how hard to change fuel pump - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Garage
2003 Mustang mach 1, how hard to change fuel pump

Hey,
How hard is it to change the fuel pump in an 03 mach1? tried to look around on google and couldnt find any guides.
Also, would i be best to stick with motorcraft? or is there any specific one i should look into?

I am fairly confident that its the pump because when cranking the motor and giving the fuel tank a good hearty tap she almost kicks over but not quite, and im not getting any fuel pressure at all at the fuel rail.

On a side note, NTB messed up a coolant flush, didnt bleed it, and over heated the motor , any way this could be related? would love to find a way to make them pay for my parts

Torch Red 03 Mach 1

Steeda CAI
Steeda Underdrive Pullies
Steeda 3 point strut tower brace
JBA Cat back
MGW Short throw shifter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to mell0
the mach tank/ fuel pump is the same as the GT. replacement is VERY easy. if i were you i would upgrade to the SVT focus fuel pump (motorcraft) it will work fine and will allow for plenty of upgrades in the future. here's my fuel pump swap write up that was in my supercharger install guide:

the thread itself:
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ps-advice.html

the section about the fuel pump install:
"Fuel pump and the fuel filter were next.

-These were also pretty straight forward. Now that I think of it, nothing was really "difficult" it just took patience and time really.

-For the fuel pump you have to drop the fuel tank down. To do this remove the fuel lines attached to the tank itself. They are just held on by clamps. Two on the front and two on each side of the tank. Then remove the 3 bolts that are around the gas cap. From here go ahead and jack a jack up to support the tank while you unbolt the straps supporting the fuel tank. The tank might not want to drop right away because it a) might be stuck, b) might be stuck on the exhaust, or c) might be clinging on to this putty that for some reason is stuck to the tank and bottom of the car.

-Once everything is loose slowly lower the tank and make sure nothing is getting stuck.

-The top of my tank was a bit dirty and I was afraid of getting junk in the fuel tank so I vacuumed the top of the tank until it was clean. There are about 8 bolts holding the over on the top of the fuel tank. Unbolt them.

-The top of the fuel basket is held on by about 6 VERY VERY small screws. CAREFULLY unscrew them and make sure they do not fall in the tank. After this remove the top of the basket and take out the fuel pump.

-Repeat all of this in reverse order when putting the new fuel pump in.

-Once everything was bolted back up I went ahead and changed the fuel filter. This was a bit frustrating. MAKE SURE YOU WEAR SAFTEY GOGGLES!!!! Thankfully I did and fuel spilt all over my face but I ended up being alright. You can wash gas off of your skin but it can permanently damage your eyes. You need a special Ford fuel line puller that you can get at any auto parts store. Mine was like 8 bucks."

2002 Procharged GT
351rwhp, 353rwtq
12.503 @ 113.08

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Garage
any chance that an over heating motor could have caused the fuel pump to go out? i know it sounds far fetched, but this all happened at the exact same time, i know when the motor overheats it goes into some sort of protection mode and the motor pumps fuel into the motor to help cool it down, could this have caused extra strain on the pump and kill it? If so, then NTB needs to pay for it instead of me.

Torch Red 03 Mach 1

Steeda CAI
JBA Cat back
MGW Short throw shifter

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

i couldn't tell you to be honest. i have never heard of a fuel pump going bad after an overheating issue.

2002 Procharged GT
351rwhp, 353rwtq
12.503 @ 113.08

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010
Banned
4.6L Member

What's NTB?
Whoever they are, I'd go pull out a can of whup-ass on them. I'd be trying pretty hard to find a way to relate those two issues as well.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Garage
knew i should have just flushed it with a garden hose myself, but oh no, i thought itd be good to have it filled in a vaccume so i wouldnt have to deal with bleeding the system. hah! ironically, THEY werent too worried about bleeding the system.

NTB = National Tire and Battery

As angry as they made me, i talked to their store manager, and atleast they are working with me. he said he would have it towed back for free, theyd charge me $380 including shop fees parts labor and tax to change the pump, and that if it did not run correctly after that, they would be willing to have it towed to Ford for a quote

Stuck between being angry at them, and not being able to complain being that they usually charge over 500 for a pump replacement, and it really might not be their fault. At least theyr being honorable and offering to have Ford fix.

there goes that new set of brakes/tires ive been needing, and i never really got that coolant flush.
either cars cost too much, or i dont make enough

Torch Red 03 Mach 1

Steeda CAI
JBA Cat back
MGW Short throw shifter
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

damn dude the fuel pump replacement really isn't that bad at all. i was 17 when i did mine, and it took about 45 minutes. really straight forward.

2002 Procharged GT
351rwhp, 353rwtq
12.503 @ 113.08

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page