lean code and stuttering engine I need help 2003 Mustang GT - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

lean code and stuttering engine I need help 2003 Mustang GT

ok so heres the beginning of the story.. I installed a pair fo bbk long tube headers and a high flow catted h pipe.. I wanted a louder sound so I put on a off road h pipe.. Ever since then my car has been trowing a lean code... It stutters too a lot around 1000 to 1500 rpms in every gear. I cahbged the throttle posiyion snsor with no gain or results.. So I question is y would it do this considering it didn't start till I put on off road h pipe. Is it too high flow maybe no back pressure or am I just and odd mustang that's acting funny.. Also do I have to have a tune in order to run this set up.. It's bothering me becauuse I've lost performance ever since installing my lt headers on.. I'm debating replace ing back to stock..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

You need to get that thing tuned ASAP. Your problem is likely in there, but check the plugs, filters, and compression too.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
+1 on getting it tuned

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

well, if you unplugged the little 02 seonsors, you need to plug them back in with mil eliminators man or if you have a tuner turn the downstream 02 sensors off

2002 Mustang GT 5 speed: Mach 1 grille delete, K&N drop-in air filter, 75mm BBK throttle body, ported C&L plenum, UPR upper and lower control arms, KYB shocks/struts, McLeod Super Street Pro clutch kit, AM firewall adjuster, MM clutch quadrant, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, Bassani catted x pipe, Flowmaster weld-in 40's, SCT 93 octane Bama tune
SOLD
for...
2013 Mustang GT 6 speed: GT Track Package, 301A Tech Package, JLT Catch Can, GT500 Axleback, Steeda Shifter Bushing
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

ok.. So I'll get a tuner then. I need to get a performance tune for my car anyway.. In the mean time since I don't have 400 bucks right now is it safe to drive my car for a couple of weeks... Thank for all the info I aopreciate it
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

With a lean code I would say no, its too easy to cause major damage. Look on ebay for a tuner, you can find some good deals there, but I think you really should get a dyno tune, a canned tune is NOT going to do what you need by itself and you can't tweak it properly without wideband a/f metering.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I guess my last question would be why would it throw a lean code after the cats were removed it never did before I installed the orr road h pipe.. It's got a brand new k and n cai and I can here it sucking just fine... My fuel pump and my fuelfilter are new too.. I'm just wondering..
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

bump to maybe get an answer to my last question
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

ok soo I took the car to a mechanic to let him look at it.. He told me that basically what happened is that since I put on a off road h pipe I made my exhuast valve have no back pressure causing al the fuel to be forced out before the valve closes for compression and spark so he said a tuner from american muscle with the bama chips tune will fix everything because it will adjust timing of fuel spray and things like that haha.. So I odered the sct chip since I'm cheap lol and had them set up the tune to turn off the rear 02 sensors off and adjust the tune for the exhuast and other upgrades I got.. Soo when I get it in I'll let yall know if it fixes it.. Thanks for all the info.. Definitely helped me point to the right direction and everything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page