1998 Mustang GT Automatic to Manual Swap Questions - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

1998 Mustang GT Automatic to Manual Swap Questions

Hello everyone! I am new to this forum but not to Ford and Mustang Tech, however, I am a bit confused with my project and could use some other expert advice from someone who has already done this. Here's my issue:

I've got a '98 Mustang GT Parts car with a 5spd and I have my 98 Mustang GT with an auto that is going to receive the manual setup. So I know I have all the required parts, and so far I have removed the transmission (still connected to motor as motor in my non-parts car has a blown head gasket), clutch pedal assembly, driveshaft, clutch cable, shifter, and crossmember/mount. Do I need to remove any piece of wiring harness? Any Sensors? Is there a complete list anywhere for the parts required in completing this swap? What else should I look out for? Thanks in advance for any help/advice offered!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010
PONY Member

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Jaysizzle Send a message via Yahoo to Jaysizzle
there should be one harness that connects to the backup lights 2 02 sensors and speed sensor. It runs up the transmission tunnel to the right side of the car under the hood.

2011 Ford Mustang Gt

2004 Ford Mustang Cobra

1995 Ford Mustang v8 Project Car

2007 Mazda 3
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerduker View Post
Hello everyone! I am new to this forum but not to Ford and Mustang Tech, however, I am a bit confused with my project and could use some other expert advice from someone who has already done this. Here's my issue:

I've got a '98 Mustang GT Parts car with a 5spd and I have my 98 Mustang GT with an auto that is going to receive the manual setup. So I know I have all the required parts, and so far I have removed the transmission (still connected to motor as motor in my non-parts car has a blown head gasket), clutch pedal assembly, driveshaft, clutch cable, shifter, and crossmember/mount. Do I need to remove any piece of wiring harness? Any Sensors? Is there a complete list anywhere for the parts required in completing this swap? What else should I look out for? Thanks in advance for any help/advice offered!!
USE THE SEARCH, I was looking into putting either a 5 or 6 speed (if cheap enough) in my ROUSH... I found LOTS of previous posts showing all parts n ford #'s........

good luck....... tell us once its done....

2002 ROUSH Stage 2, set up for SCCA/Autocross. ROUSH 13" brakes,ROUSH 37mm front sway, ROUSH upper & lower arms, Vogtland coil springs w/ isolators removed, ROUSH CAI, 275/40/17's on 17x9 Bullitt rims on all corners, Hawk brake pads, Tokico D-spec struts n shocks, adjustable rear sway bar, Steeda f&r strut/shock tower brace, bumpsteer kit, J&M C/C plates, sub-frame connectors....

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the help guys, I'm really most concerned with the wiring for the transmission. I'm having a hard time determining what harness is required and if there is an computer for the trans and where is that computer? Any ideas?

I'll try to take pics of the transplant into my other GT and maybe I can create a write up for it (though don't cross your fingers lol I'm not very good at writing haha). I will def post pics and my thoughts of the finished product when its done!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page