Comp Cam adjustable cam gears or just file the stock gears? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Comp Cam adjustable cam gears or just file the stock gears?

I'm about to start degreeing the Hitech Stage 2 cams that I'm installing into a fresh rebuild. I started to order the Comp Cams adjustable gears but after reading numerous threads about filing down the keyway, I opted to save the money and go that way. Now, as I'm about to start the process (if the cams will hurry up and get here) I'm second guessing that decision. Which is going to be the safest and most durable? What happens if the little screws come loose on the Comp Cams setup? They seem a little cheesy, but if I grind off the keyway and the cam bolt backs off, that would be very bad. I've had to mill both heads and deck the block, loosing about .025 on both sides, so not degreeing isn't an option.

I just don't wanna have to worry about this later. I want to button it up and not look at it for another 100,000+ miles...any advice?

Also, what's the technique for holding the cams while torquing the cam bolts without turning the gears if you grind off the keyways????

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

I've always grinded the keyway, and never had a problem at all.

2001 Dark Highland Green Bullitt
[email protected] naturally aspirated on a bone stock 2V longblock

Under Reconstruction for RS275 Drag Radial Class
Pushrods and Powerglide Coming Soon

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.
Old 04-13-2010
Apprentice

What are you guys talking about? Should I look into this when installing my new cams?

2000 GT - White - BAD @$$
-H&R SS Springs w/Koni Struts and Shocks, Flowmaster Mufflers, VT Stage 2 N/A cams & Performance 600 Lift Springs, SCT Hand held w/93 Performance Tune

Old 04-13-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

If you degree them in, you'll have to worry about it. Degreeing them in is a good idea to make sure everything's perfect. There's a great tutorial on MHS's website on how to do it.

2001 Dark Highland Green Bullitt
[email protected] naturally aspirated on a bone stock 2V longblock

Under Reconstruction for RS275 Drag Radial Class
Pushrods and Powerglide Coming Soon

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.
Old 04-14-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

I think I'm going to try to leave about half of the key, I'm hoping that will give me enough adjustment and just a little bit of security...I guess I'm paranoid, LOL...

Unfortunately, I just unwrapped my short block and realized they built it with the wrong pistons, NPI instead of PI. Hopefully they can get this fixed by the weekend... sh!t happens I guess...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in