Vibration with new rims/tires - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Vibration with new rims/tires

Hello all,

I got a used set of saleen replica rims, 18x9 front 18x10 rear, in the front i have 265/35/18 and in the back 275/35/18, more than 60% of life left on the tires, but after i mounted them on my mustang gt 2003 and drove, the car started to shake even more when i go in the highway, even my steering wheel was shaking, my question is can this be just the balance? Before i had cobra-r 1999 rims, 17x8, 245/45/17 and never had this problem...

Thanks for your help and time !!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010
PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member

I'd take them to a tire shop and have them re-balanced first. More than likely just that.

If that doesn't work it could be out of true wheels or possibly a flat spot in the tires - was the car they were on sitting for a long period of time?

10+ Year Mustang owner.
99 Mustang GT - mint condition
-
04 Terminator - Pullied, diablo predator tuner with dyno tune, airbags, MM subs/cc plates, Wilwood brakes, 4 point roll bar, FR500 steering wheel, staggered bullitts, JLT cai, Magnaflow exhaust, mgw shifter

00 V6 - Kenny Brown V6 stuff, Dr Gas x pipe
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Get them rebalanced. I know you can't put weights on the outside and for that matter, who wants the ugly things on it if the wheel has a lip. But, you may have to have sticky weights put close to the outer part to get a good balance. I just went through the same thing with some 18's .

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010
Rookie

balance my be the issue. if you are gonna get them rebalaced it would be helpful to call around to some of the local tire places and ask if the have a road force balancer. i work for firestone in the orlando area and we have one. the machine will not only balance better but also tell you if you have a bad wheel or a tire defect. basically any issue other than hub clearence on you car. hope this helps

1989 Mark VII LSC, OEM Bullitt wheels, Full coil spring conversion, B&M Shift kit, BBK Fenderwell CAI, Crane Cams Coil, Flowmaster Exhaust
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
i would take them to be professionally balanced

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page