5.4 3 valve heads on 1996 Mustang gt block - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

Post 5.4 3 valve heads on 1996 Mustang gt block

Hey guys im new here and quite new to the mustang life...i recently took a mustang gt as payment for some work i did and have been doing some low end mods to it...but i have a friend who just spun a bearing in his 2004 f150 5.4 24 valve. he is offering to give me the heads off of it. Now they are the new redisgned 3v heads like come on the 05 mustang gts'. My question is...i know they will bolt to my motor but what all else will i need to get like manifold adapters, plugs, headers, etc... Now on my mustang i have the 4.6 with a pi swap already done. i have full length hookers catless x pipe so on so forth. Will i have to change headers, what do i do about an intake, can i use a 4.6 intake or it has to be a 5.4 intake. i read in a forum somewhere that you have to make some kind of plate to get oil to the front of the cams but the thread was from 5 years ago i dont know if something has been invented or what not. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to mell0
if they are the same heads as on the GTs, then these threads will give you a ton of info on the swap:

2v to 3v conversion???

S197 3V engine swap

2002 Procharged GT
351rwhp, 353rwtq
12.503 @ 113.08

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

i wouldnt recommend putting 3v heads on an old block, i sold my cousing my 3v head before i did anything with them and we are having all kinda fo trouble with them. it has variable valve timing (vvt) and you have to order blocks for the cam gears and we havent yet found a set that work.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to mell0
well look through those threads. those guys did it relatively simply, and a few have followed in their footsteps.

2002 Procharged GT
351rwhp, 353rwtq
12.503 @ 113.08

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
5.4/4.6 , mustang , swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page