i need a 4.6L 2v replacement motor SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

i need a 4.6L 2v replacement motor SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!!

Hey guys, I have to replace my motor and i could really use some help here. I am fairly short on cash and selling the car is not an option i need to figure this out so i thought you guys might be able to help me find a replacement engine. I have a 99 gt. and im in VA if that comes to play at all. Im kind of freaking out here so any bit of information will help. Thanks

99 Mustang GT (9.2 second 1/8th no spray)

Rebuilding!! forged manley rods--forged piston--Trick flow twisted wedge heads --trick flow stage 2 cams-- Pypes Long Tube -- pypes shorty H -- flowmaster cat back--comp cam valve springs-- A/C Delete -- PP Typhoon intake manifold-- ford racing 4.10's-- upper and lower control arms-- NOS Sniper kit (wet) --
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member

I would try to get one out of a junk yard then rebuild it and get some power out of her.

03 GT SUPERCHARGED-SOLD
2010 FUSION SPORT
2000 F-350 7.3L SD
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

anyone know what i would need to do to make a 4v work with my car. would it match up with the tranny?

Rebuilding!! forged manley rods--forged piston--Trick flow twisted wedge heads --trick flow stage 2 cams-- Pypes Long Tube -- pypes shorty H -- flowmaster cat back--comp cam valve springs-- A/C Delete -- PP Typhoon intake manifold-- ford racing 4.10's-- upper and lower control arms-- NOS Sniper kit (wet) --

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010
PONY Member

If you're short on cash, then going 4v should be out of the question. A direct replacement engine (99 or 00 only in your case because you have a Windsor engine) run about 700-900 bucks here in Los Angeles. I can't imagine being more expensive where you live.

2007 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 M6 - Stock
1988 Mustang Notch 2.3 5 speed - 100% stock down to cassette player! - SOLD
2000 Mustang GT - (White) - yeah, its modified. *SOLD* (2012-2013)
2000 Mustang GT (Blue), 5 speed Saleen Clone *SOLD* (2008-2011)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member

ya if money is a worrie, forget about power and just get her going again. what is wrong with the motor? Can you rebiuld the stocker? Start callin around to junk yards and if money is really a big deal maybe you can find a NPI motor for around 500 or so..

cams, and all basic bolt ons, arizen seats, cowl hood, and now my buckets got a hole in it (meaning im broke) but when i fix it ill have gears and some trany work
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010
Apprentice
4.6L Member

I wouldnt waste my time getting one out of a junkyard, because you have no idea what you are getting and since you have some aftermarket parts on it, im sure you will be in the same position you are now before long. Id yank that motor out and rebuild it man. Im doing the same thing in my 99. Im rebuilding the whole thing myself and its not that bad. Mine was messed up bigtime too.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010
Rookie

i found an 01 gt motor on CRAIGSLIST.ORG for my 96 i picked up in stl for 600$ and he wanted 700$ hehe
im in the process of pulling my old one out with a thrown rod
look around on craigslist there are ALOT of deals on there
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Call Eddyson Enterprises in Miami (305) 638-5534, they are heaven for mustang parts... or call Mustang Specialties in pompano, fl, ask for John, I think I recall him saying he had one.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

thanks for the help guys. i might have some more posts soon about this in the near future. Racin366 i will for give your guy in miami a call! thanks for the tip man.

SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

No problem bro, the guy at specialties is a friend of mine, and like I said, eddyson is mustang heaven.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
Rookie
4.6L Member

?

I have a similar problem and would like to hear some input from people on here.

My engine (97 4.6L GT - 2V, NPI) has a knock in it. Two mechanics believe it to be a rod knock - I believe this implies my pin to be bad and if conitued to drive on it can lead to throwing a rod.

I've been scouring the forum's and the internet for days now trying to figure out the balance between the economics of getting my engine running and taking advantage to make any mods that I can.

Here are the options I've seen and would like comments on:
  • Crate engine (long block) delivered for $1550 w/approx. 55,000 miles on it. Same engine.
  • Tear down engine and replace rods/pins (maybe Hurley but not sure if I want to spend the $600+ on them v. a production set for under $200.
    • would also upgrade to the PI Intake manifold (IM) for approx. $175
    • Possibly a new camshaft at the same time if I can locate one for a reasonable price
  • Buy a new ALUM 4.6L small block - $950 shipped while also upgrading to the PI IM and installing new rods
Regardless of either of the 3 options I'll be installing the Lock-N-Stitch spark plug insert kit while replacing the plugs/wires.

If I can squeeze enough $ into the build i'm open to suggestions on upgrades.

would love to hear feedback on any experiences or comments on my options that i've been putting together.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page