Whats the difference in cat back, X or H exhaust system. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002 Thread Starter

exhaust systems

What exactly is the difference, performance based, in a cat back system and an x or h pipe system. Is it true that the h and x pipe systems are not 50 state legal? And if not does anyone know if they are legal in North Carolina? Would running a cat back system such as Borla give me additional power without as much noise as the h or x pipe system?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002
GT Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to StalkerStang
The cat-back system replaces everything from the catalytic converters back, hence the name cat-back system, it consists of flowtubes (from the H pipe to the mufflers), the mufflers, and the rest of the pipe out and new tail pipes. An H or X pipe is where the cats are, the offroad versions have no cats, and are not emmisions legal. Some H and X pipes have only 2 cats and are 50 state legal.

Running just a cat-back system with the stock H pipe will be quieter than a system with both an aftermarket H or X pipe and a cat-back exhaust. A cat-back system by its self should provide anywhere from 5-15 HP depending on the other mods you have on your Stang.

Jesse Berger
90 LX, Previous 4 cyl.
408W In the Works
TW FAC's, Jay Allen cam, Super Victor

2001 V6 5 Speed Daily Driver
Windstar Intake, Dual Exhuast, CAI, Headers
Best ET: [email protected] mph (on 18's)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

The X is supposed to increase exhaust gas scavenging and results in more HP gains.

The X also acts like a muffler, reducing noise a bit.

Xs pipes are to be used with straight flow mufflers without chambers.

The X design was first introduced in NASCAR.

Rob Hernandez, AFM co-Founder.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002 Thread Starter

Thanks for the information. I think I may go with the cat back system. Will this give me that deep rumble or do you only get that with the x or h pipe system? Does anyone have any information or opinions on the Borla system? Is it better than the others, like Flowmaster, or just cost more?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2002

My personal opinion is that you're buying the name when you go with Borla. They have awesome exhaust systems but are way to expensive. I live in GA and I'm about to upgrade my 98 with just a plan offroad Xpipe from Bassani. The offroad Xpipe will rid you of the MULTIPLE Cat and give you better performance at 1/2 the cost and it bolts right on. If you don't like the sound with stock mufflers then get some flowmasters or another aftermarket muffler ( for even more performance ). The Bassani offroad pipe runs $299, that Borla cat back is going to run you $560 ( last time I checked ). Like I said this is just my 2 cents, atleast this is the way I'm going to go.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2002 Thread Starter

Is the offroad x-pipe going to pass emissions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page