2004 Mustang GT O/R X pipe, terrible MPG - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rookie
4.6L Member

lol, too rich means that while your engine is running the computer is tell it to add just a little too much fuel to the cylender durring the engine cycle. so to make life simple, its like making a cup of coffee with way too much grounds. Back to car talk though, too rich is having too much fuel in the cylinder means that all the fuel that is in each cylinder isn't going to get burned, which equals a waste of gas.... however, in your defense... and to clear it up, since you do have an Off-road pipe, that may also be the reason you smell fuel from the tips...I have that same problem

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

just a note on the MIL eliminators: make sure you secure them somehow... since they are a little longer they can move around under the car and sometimes (prior experience) they can hit the exhaust and get a little overheated/melted and not work anymore causing the SES light to return... just a thought...

2004 White V6 - sold
2000 Green GT - totaled
1999 Green V6 'Vert - sold
1990 Black GT - sold
1990 Red LX - sold
2003 Grey GT - sold
1991 Blue LX 5.0 - really more of a pile of parts at this point...
04GTYellowStang

yeah, i had them secured with plastic ties over the transmission cross.

PONY Member
4.6L Member

Car diagnostics 101- if your car has a check engine light for ANY reason .it automatically calls in open loop (limp) mode. Which is the cars way of protecting itself. What that means is that it. Ignores readins from the o2 sensors and floods the car with extra fuel til the light is off. This mode is also on when u cold start ur car. And turns off.(reads from the o2 sensors) when the sensors warm up. Engine takes info from the o2 s and adjusts air/fuel accoridngly . That's why ur mpg is ****.come on guys. All u posted here and didnt mention that. I'm a lil sad face

2001 Mustang GT.Tropic Green ( SU ftw ), AM Cold Air Intake.75mm Throttlebody.accufab Plenum. Pypes Off road X pipe(ceramic coated to headers). J&M Lower control arms. 4.10 Gears. 93 octane sniper dyno tuned. 245 RWHP 287 RWTQ
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt5339 View Post
I think you need to learn what sensors control the car going into open loop mode. The rear O2's are only catalyst monitors, and do not affect air/fuel ratios read by the ECU, so they cannot put the ECU into open loop mode, only the front O2's can do so, since the ECU monitors their switching to adjust the air fuel ratio at part throttle.

Simple explanation: The rear O2's only monitor catalyst efficiency, and failing catalyst efficiency is not a trigger for the ECU to swith to open loop mode.

To add: The vehicle must be in Closed Loop mode to even read the rear O2 sensors to begin with.
I have to disagree with you my friend. If there's a code on for any reason ur car goes open loop. Just a general defense mechanism. I bet my car on it.

2001 Mustang GT.Tropic Green ( SU ftw ), AM Cold Air Intake.75mm Throttlebody.accufab Plenum. Pypes Off road X pipe(ceramic coated to headers). J&M Lower control arms. 4.10 Gears. 93 octane sniper dyno tuned. 245 RWHP 287 RWTQ
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schon View Post
I have to disagree with you my friend. If there's a code on for any reason ur car goes open loop. Just a general defense mechanism. I bet my car on it.
You would lose your car.......

There's only a couple things that will cause the car to go into open loop, and the catalyst monitor is not one of them.

2001 Dark Highland Green Bullitt
[email protected] naturally aspirated on a bone stock 2V longblock

Under Reconstruction for RS275 Drag Radial Class
Pushrods and Powerglide Coming Soon

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

In fact, the ECU will not even read the catalyst monitors until the ECU has gone into closed loop operation.

SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Here's quotes out of the ECU manual about the O2 sensors:

If the front sensor or both front sensors have failed the owner may experience hesitation at speed, clearing when the accelerator is depressed slightly - rough running, particularly when first selecting drive and on change of load, heavy fuel consumption (resulting from open loop fueling) and a black exhaust pipe.

If the rear sensor(s) fail then the owner may be unaware of it. There may be no driveability concern and only a reading with the vehicle Explorer will show the DTCs. (Vehicle Explorer is the name for the scan tool used)

If you have a good scantool, like my AutoXRay, you can watch this happen, and it's pretty cool. You can watch the code set for Catalyst below threshold, but still watch the front O2's switch, and watch the inputs from the MAF voltage and the air fuel ratio change with them, which doesn't happen when the vehicle is in open loop mode. When in open loop mode, it will not show the feed from the front O2's and other sensors at all.

So where can I pick up my new Mustang?????????

Just kidding man, that's why we're here, to learn about our cars.....

PONY Member
4.6L Member

ok now im really confused. i have the snap on live data scanner. and according that my O2 sensors stop giving off there +1/-1 volt signals when i disconnect the codes. im not saying your lieing. but i was going off that real time data. and according to your results its the opposite. my problem is now that we both have realiable(pretty much the same ) sources than "what the heck" ....all the sudden i dont feel i can trust anything with my car anymore. and that scanner was 600 bones. so what peice of data are we missing. i sisnt waste 32k at UTI and NOT pick any knowledge up . so i know im not bannanas and im sure you have extensive knowledge as i read your very intelligent posts. i just dont like conflicting data

SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Unhook your rear O2's, let the CEL trigger, and then check the LOOP readout in the advance options (if it works like my AutoXRay), when you do that, it still says CLOSED.

I've been researching for a couple weeks writing this Tech Article on how our ECU's work, so I've been doing a bunch of crazy stuff on the AutoXRay to see what affect different things have.

I did figure out that very few things will keep the engine from going into closed loop mode. The front O2 sensors definitely will, the MAF sensor will and a few other things. I'll post all of them once I finish with the article. This ECU manual is not a fun read, so it's taking a while to decipher and try everything it talks about, so I've started breaking things into blocks.

PONY Member
4.6L Member

block method is what i used in school. just makes life more easier lol. sounds like fun though. what kinda literature you using?

SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Mainly the Ford ECU troubleshooting guide and SCT tuning literature, which describes a lot of the functions. Combine that with some internet detective work, and then verifying information on the AutoXRay. It's a lot of work.

PONY Member
4.6L Member

sounds like a night of fun

SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

it's been 2 weeks so far trying to understand the more complicated stuff. When I get done, I should be able to tune a car though...........

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page