what are my options for stronger tranny? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Site Sponsor
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutal Metal View Post
... Richard's company (He's a forum member at AFM) also does upgrades as well But honestly if you drive the car right that T-45 can handle a good bit of power, launch at 3K not 5K at the track, just be smart..

Thanks Brutal....

and he's right. Drive the transmission smart and you should be fine. The biggest thing to watch is clutch and clutch adjustment. Make sure you have a good clutch and that it is adjusted correctly all the time.
You want to maintain a maximum of 1/4" gap between the face of the T/O and the fingers on the pressure plate when the pedal is all the way out at the rest position. You can check it by removing the metal clutch fork cover from the drivers side of the bell housing and look up in there with a flashlight.

If you take it to the track and hammer on it, be sure to check the adjustment before and after that day. Other than that, I usually check mine every oil change. It's free, relatively easy and it will save a transmission better than any other prevention method I can tell you.

Richard
Resident manual transmission/driveline guru :hihi:
Tech Sales Support
American Powertrain
A Tremec Elite Distributor
TKO, T45, 3650, T5 & T56 Transmission Systems
2199 Summerfield Rd
Cookeville, TN 38506 (931) 646-4836
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Site Sponsor
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnole23 View Post
i checked on the gear ration thing, and it was a bigger difference than i expected. the t45 1st is 3.37, tko500 is 3.27, and 600 is 2.87. i know that the smaller gear lets it handle more, so that must be how they rate it at 600tq rather than 500tq. i think i'll get the 500 since they're conservatively rated anyway. i have 3.73 gears now, would 3.27 1st gear significantly change my total ratio?

You are correct in how they rate the 500 and 600. The taller 1st gear of the TKO-600 gives it the extra 100 ft/lbs rating.

The biggest advantage of the 600 over the 500 in your case is your 3.73 gears. I know from experience that 3.73 and the 1st gear of a T45 or TKO-500 makes for a VERY short 1st gear. The 600 has the taller 2.87 1st which would give you a more useable 1st gear. The TKO-600 also has a closer gear spread in all gears (1st thru 4th) where the TKO-500 and the T45 have a wider ratio. In other words, with the 600, you turn quicker E.T.'s as the rpm's won't drop as much in between shifts.

A T56 Magnum would aslo be a good choice. It's a double over drive and it is rated at 700ft/lbs constant in 4th gear. IT will fit your car perfectly without modification. We used my '00GT for a test mock up using the T56 magnum and it will fit like it's supposed to.

Richard
Tech Sales Support
American Powertrain
2199 Summerfield Rd
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj8806 View Post
You are correct in how they rate the 500 and 600. The taller 1st gear of the TKO-600 gives it the extra 100 ft/lbs rating.

The biggest advantage of the 600 over the 500 in your case is your 3.73 gears. I know from experience that 3.73 and the 1st gear of a T45 or TKO-500 makes for a VERY short 1st gear. The 600 has the taller 2.87 1st which would give you a more useable 1st gear. The TKO-600 also has a closer gear spread in all gears (1st thru 4th) where the TKO-500 and the T45 have a wider ratio. In other words, with the 600, you turn quicker E.T.'s as the rpm's won't drop as much in between shifts.

A T56 Magnum would aslo be a good choice. It's a double over drive and it is rated at 700ft/lbs constant in 4th gear. IT will fit your car perfectly without modification. We used my '00GT for a test mock up using the T56 magnum and it will fit like it's supposed to.
good info. i'd rather upgrade clutch and tranny so i don't have to worry about it. i was looking at your profit kit for the t56, that includes absolutely everything i need to install a t56? can you give price here?

2000 GT

Build & Blown.

Site Sponsor
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
good info. i'd rather upgrade clutch and tranny so i don't have to worry about it. i was looking at your profit kit for the t56, that includes absolutely everything i need to install a t56? can you give price here?

Be careful which clutch you go with. Clutches come in basically 3 compounds. Copper/Organic which is a lot like an OE stock clutch disc material. Next up is Kevlar. It is stronger than copper organic and will last longer but it is expensive. Ceramic is next and should not be run with a stock transmission. Ceramic grabs hard and holds a ton of power but because it is very aggressive in the way it grabs the surfaces, it will tend to be brutal on a transmission.

Not sure why but Ford always uses a 10 spline input shaft on their maunal transmissions. 10 splines are inherently weak and will twist when you start putting out good power (read anything over about 450 hp). If you drive the car hard and do high rpm launches or powershifting, even a stock car can twist the stock 10 spline input.

There are 26 spline input shaft upgrades for T5's, T45's and Tr-3650's. They are relatively simple to change and will enhance the torque capabilities of the trans. You can also do carbon fiber blocking rings, bronze fork pads and billet steel shift forks to make it even stronger.

Personally, I like the T45. It shifts smooth (smoother than the 3650 or TKO) and is a good transmission overall. It had it's issues from the factory (jumping out of reverse) but we have developed fixes for that as well as upgrades to make it even better.

The T56 Magnum would need a 26 spline clutch disc (at the least), T56 bell housing and a shortening of the stock driveshaft. On my '00GT, where the cross member bolts into the uni-body, the mounting pads on the uni-body are slotted. We were able to slide my stock cross member rearward to the back of the slot and install a 1/2" wedge on each mount pad and bolt up the Magnum.

The good news with the T56 Magnum is you have a choice of either a 11010 which has a 2.66 1st, .80 5th and a .63 6th or a 11011 which has a 2.97 1st, .74 5th and a .50 6th and it is rated at 700ft/lbs constant in 4th gear. The shifting on the Magnum, like the T45, is smooth.

I can't give prices out on the forum, but will send you a PM in a minute.

Richard
Tech Sales Support
American Powertrain
2199 Summerfield Rd
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj8806 View Post
Be careful which clutch you go with. Clutches come in basically 3 compounds. Copper/Organic which is a lot like an OE stock clutch disc material. Next up is Kevlar. It is stronger than copper organic and will last longer but it is expensive. Ceramic is next and should not be run with a stock transmission. Ceramic grabs hard and holds a ton of power but because it is very aggressive in the way it grabs the surfaces, it will tend to be brutal on a transmission.

Not sure why but Ford always uses a 10 spline input shaft on their maunal transmissions. 10 splines are inherently weak and will twist when you start putting out good power (read anything over about 450 hp). If you drive the car hard and do high rpm launches or powershifting, even a stock car can twist the stock 10 spline input.

There are 26 spline input shaft upgrades for T5's, T45's and Tr-3650's. They are relatively simple to change and will enhance the torque capabilities of the trans. You can also do carbon fiber blocking rings, bronze fork pads and billet steel shift forks to make it even stronger.

Personally, I like the T45. It shifts smooth (smoother than the 3650 or TKO) and is a good transmission overall. It had it's issues from the factory (jumping out of reverse) but we have developed fixes for that as well as upgrades to make it even better.

The T56 Magnum would need a 26 spline clutch disc (at the least), T56 bell housing and a shortening of the stock driveshaft. On my '00GT, where the cross member bolts into the uni-body, the mounting pads on the uni-body are slotted. We were able to slide my stock cross member rearward to the back of the slot and install a 1/2" wedge on each mount pad and bolt up the Magnum.

The good news with the T56 Magnum is you have a choice of either a 11010 which has a 2.66 1st, .80 5th and a .63 6th or a 11011 which has a 2.97 1st, .74 5th and a .50 6th and it is rated at 700ft/lbs constant in 4th gear. The shifting on the Magnum, like the T45, is smooth.

I can't give prices out on the forum, but will send you a PM in a minute.
i'll be getting a clutch and flywheel to match the t56 if that's what i get. it'd be the mcleod rst, which uses organic disks.

and your profit kit says it comes with drive shaft, crossmember, shifter, and other hookups, with the bellhousing as an option. is that not all i need?

2000 GT

Build & Blown.
Site Sponsor
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
i'll be getting a clutch and flywheel to match the t56 if that's what i get. it'd be the mcleod rst, which uses organic disks.

and your profit kit says it comes with drive shaft, crossmember, shifter, and other hookups, with the bellhousing as an option. is that not all i need?

We can customize the kit to fit your project/budget. You can get a cross member and driveshaft if you want but you don't need them. Like I said, on my "00GT, the Magnum fit in the tunnel using the stock cross member. The slip yoke for the T45/3650 is the same 31 spline as the T56 magnum so your driveshaft will fit, you will just need to get it shortened.
The shifter is already on the transmission, it just needs a handle. The bell housing is a must as a 5-speed bell housing is different from a 6-speed bell.

Richard
Tech Sales Support
American Powertrain
2199 Summerfield Rd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page