mustang wheel bearings vs. axle bearings - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

mustang wheel bearings vs. axle bearings

This is going to seem like a really stupid question. My girl hit a curb in my stang and i have a bent axle. Im changing it out this weekend. The axle comes with axle bearings and seals, that i can do. However the wheel bearings are what trips me up. So i have an axle and a hub bolted to the axle? so i could change the wheel bearing later, correct? i want to fix the axle first since that is the biggest of my worries right now. I guess my stupid question is where is the hub? N how much do they charge to press one on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member

The "Wheel bearings" are in the front and the "axle bearings" are in the rear. When you replace the rear left or right side axle, the wheel hub looking thing with studs attached is the axle, which is one piece. The bearings are inside the axle tube you pull the axle out of. When you have the axle out replace them, it's like $11 for the seal and bearing.

2000 4.6l mustang
03 Swap Rebuilt, Pacesetter Longtube Headers, Pacesetter O/R X Pipe, SLP lm1, Professional Products 75mm TB/Plenum,SR Underdrive pulleys, EGR Delete, Mac CAI, Diablosport 93oc tune, FRPP 4.10 Gears, 31 spline FRPP Trac loc+ 31 spline axles, 2" cut springs, Drilled and Slotted rotors/Hawk brake pads, Accel Super Coils, Stall+Shift kit AUTO fml
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010
Banned
4.6L Member

Yup...that about sums it up.
There is only one bearing you'll have to worry about. Rent a bearing puller from autozone and that will make life a little easier when pulling the old one out. It's like a slide-hammer type deal, and that bearing will pop right out.
Make sure you don't **** the seal up on the new one when inserting the axle into the tube.
Did your new axle come with the ABS sensor dealio on it?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

thats what i was thinking but my buddy started thinking there was a wheel bearing too. Which to me made no sense if that wheel is driven strait off the diff having a bearing in there would be pointless. If your talking about that splined wheel that goes on the axle, no it didnt does that thing come off so i can put it on the new one? whats up with that?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010
Banned
4.6L Member

Yup...I am talking about the splined thing on the axle near the hub.
I replaced my axles with Mosers when I rebuilt my whole rear end. They didn't come with that thing either (I think it's called the ABS exciter or some ****.)
I took my stock axles to Ford and asked them if they could press them off and place them on the Moser axles. They were dumbfounded as to how to remove them and said if they tried, they would most likely destroy the part in the process.
So...I just stuck my Mosers in there without them. You'll throw the ABS light and not have ABS in the rear...no big deal in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
bearing , hub , rear axle , wheel bearing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page