1996 Mustang GT blows white smoke sometimes... - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon0712
Unhappy 1996 Mustang GT blows white smoke sometimes...

I got a 1996 Mustang GT that blows white smoke. I try to not pay attention to it, but it may have a blueish tint to it, I'm not 100% for sure. Anyways, it only does this after sitting at a light or something. Never when it's cold, never when I'm driving, never when I floor it, only after a minute or two of sitting then a take off. I just replaced the radiator because it had a leak and was heating my car up sometimes, seems to run good now. The temperature does fluctuate between below half and just above half, but my mechanic said that's normal, any thoughts?

Anyway, back to the smoke. I've ran a block test, no internal leaks, no blown head gasket. Just checked the spark plugs, clean as a whistle. I've read online that no cats can cause this, is that true? I'm running an o/r x-pipe and my o2 sensors are burnt out. I'm gonna replace them soon, but want to make sure that's the problem otherwise that smoke will burn out my new o2 sensors, in which case there's no point in replacing them right now. Maybe I just need a tune up. Thoughts???

1999 Mustang GT

Bullitt motor, 18" Bullitt wheels with new tires.

3.73 gears, pro 5.0 short throw shifter, 1.5" Eibach lowering springs, Mac cat-back with o/r h-pipe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

It sounds like typical valve stem seal problems. How many miles does the car have on it?

If it is valve stem seals, it's a cheap fix, but it's labor intensive, so you can save a ton of money by doing it yourself.

2001 Dark Highland Green Bullitt
[email protected] naturally aspirated on a bone stock 2V longblock

Under Reconstruction for RS275 Drag Radial Class
Pushrods and Powerglide Coming Soon

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt5339 View Post
It sounds like typical valve stem seal problems. How many miles does the car have on it?

If it is valve stem seals, it's a cheap fix, but it's labor intensive, so you can save a ton of money by doing it yourself.
I thought if it was a valve problem, I would know by checking the spark plugs?

1999 Mustang GT

3.73 gears, pro 5.0 short throw shifter, 1.5" Eibach lowering springs, Mac cat-back with o/r h-pipe

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

It's not a valve problem, there are small seals that go around the valves, under the valvesprings that keep oil from seeping through the valve guides and into the runners, which eventually makes it's way into the cylinder, and then gets burned and smokes.

It's not really a valve problem, just some tiny, cheap seals that are a pain to replace because of where they're at.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
It's not a valve problem, there are small seals that go around the valves, under the valvesprings that keep oil from seeping through the valve guides and into the runners, which eventually makes it's way into the cylinder, and then gets burned and smokes.

It's not really a valve problem, just some tiny, cheap seals that are a pain to replace because of where they're at.
What he said.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racin366 View Post
What he said.
So should I pay a professional to fix it or try it myself? I've heard you can ad additives to help seal the rings, true? Maybe I should try that first. Then again, I wan't to get those damn o2 sensors fixed and cats put on, but I'm afraid that white smoke will burn out the new o2 sensors

1999 Mustang GT

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010
Banned
4.6L Member

Well you might consider doing the PI head swap at this point, might as well make spending money have a postive HP outcome.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Manystangs View Post
Well you might consider doing the PI head swap at this point, might as well make spending money have a postive HP outcome.
What exactly is a PI swap? I know performance increase, but what all does it entail? Where would be a good place to look for PI swap parts?

1999 Mustang GT

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

PI swap is putting on PI heads, cams, and intake. Its a great idea. Whether to do it yourself or have it done depends on your budget, your skills, and the tools you have. I would do it myself, but I have been doing this a long time and have pretty much every tool there is.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racin366 View Post
PI swap is putting on PI heads, cams, and intake. Its a great idea. Whether to do it yourself or have it done depends on your budget, your skills, and the tools you have. I would do it myself, but I have been doing this a long time and have pretty much every tool there is.
Oh that's cool. I just bought some Lucus Oil additive btw. It's suppose to stop leaks inside the engine which produces white smoke. It was like $10 so lets see what happens

1999 Mustang GT

SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Stuff like that actually will make the problem worse over time. It causes the seals to swell, which does eliminate leaks for short term, but will cause them to get even worse over time.

SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Oil additives are for the most part junk. Lucas is not going to fix the problem. It may mask it for a time, but that's it, and masking a problem lets it get worse without you knowing.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Quote:
Stuff like that actually will make the problem worse over time. It causes the seals to swell, which does eliminate leaks for short term, but will cause them to get even worse over time.
Really? Well what if I put that stuff in there, it fixes the problem for a while, then when the problem comes back, fix it the right way by replacing the seals? Maybe the temporary solution will work long enough for me to save some real money to fix it. How long do you think it will actually work?

1999 Mustang GT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
1996 mustang gt , head gasket , white smoke

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page