Tune Required For CAI 2004 Mustang GT - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Tune Required For CAI 2004 Mustang GT

I was just wondering if a tune is required when running a S&B CAI on a 2004 Mustang GT 4.6 L. I realize a CAI alone doesn't add much power. Just want to make sure it won't cause car to run lean. Thanks in advance for your input.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

On 96-04 cars, a tune is not necessary to run a CAI in 99.9% of situations. I've seen certain cars, but mostly Mach 1's and Bullitts that will get near a dangerous lean condition with the CAI, but can typically be corrected by just changing the orientation of the MAF. I've never seen that problem in the GT though, as the GT stock tune is pig rich to begin with and can benefit from being a little leaner.

2001 Dark Highland Green Bullitt
[email protected] naturally aspirated on a bone stock 2V longblock

Under Reconstruction for RS275 Drag Radial Class
Pushrods and Powerglide Coming Soon

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
only reason i'd get a tune if i were you, wouldn't be for the CAI, but if you had an auto. Automatics benefit from getting tunes because it firms up and changes the shift points of the transmission. Makes it have a whole new feel to it.

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

The S&B CAI only adds about 40% more airflow and according to S&B does not really require a tune. I have one on my Mustang and have run it stock airbox and with KN selected on a strategy tune. There is a little bit of difference with a tune but not enough to worry about getting a tune just for the S&B CAI. The KN does not require a tune either. Brenspeed wrote my tune to include the S&B along with my other mods but I quit using it since the tune is affected by temperature changes and does not compensate for them. A tune will give more power with the CAI but it is not worth the cost of a tuner.

2007 Regency Mustang GT Premium - Auto, Satin Silver/Black, Brenspeed Tune, CDC Shaker with S&B CAI , Complete CDC Body Kit, Steeda Under Drive Pulleys, Motive 3.90 Rear Gears, Shorty Headers, Foose Chrome Nitrous Wheels with Yokohama Parada Spec-X Tires: 255/40R20 front; 275/40R20 rear, SLP Loudmouth 1 Exhausts, Comp Cams Stage 2 XFI VSR Camshafts
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbone View Post
The S&B CAI only adds about 40% more airflow and according to S&B does not really require a tune. I have one on my Mustang and have run it stock airbox and with KN selected on a strategy tune. There is a little bit of difference with a tune but not enough to worry about getting a tune just for the S&B CAI. The KN does not require a tune either. Brenspeed wrote my tune to include the S&B along with my other mods but I quit using it since the tune is affected by temperature changes and does not compensate for them. A tune will give more power with the CAI but it is not worth the cost of a tuner.
You have a 2007........ Nothing that you've experienced even comes close to comparing to a 2004, their processors are totally different animals and react 100% differently to mild mods like a CAI.

2001 Dark Highland Green Bullitt
[email protected] naturally aspirated on a bone stock 2V longblock

Under Reconstruction for RS275 Drag Radial Class
Pushrods and Powerglide Coming Soon

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page