Super Charger vs Turbos - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Super Charger vs Turbos

Hey I have a question for everyone. I keep reading that a turbo is cheaper than a super charger! From what I have read that is not true! A Kenny Bell four my Cobra runs about 3,800 for the kit. Most turbos run about 5,000. Im I missing something or what? I still like the super charger because of the low end boast and power! Any input on this would be great thanks.

1998 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra
1967 Mercury Cougar XR7
1997 Ford F250 4X4 Supercab PowerStroke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010
PONY Member

it just really depends because turbos are actually cheaper in the long run as long as you keep them maintained. also they are cheaper when it comes to gas to because the less your into boost the less fuel you will use with the supercharger you always have boost going into the motor.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93ksstang View Post
it just really depends because turbos are actually cheaper in the long run as long as you keep them maintained. also they are cheaper when it comes to gas to because the less your into boost the less fuel you will use with the supercharger you always have boost going into the motor.
Not true, just like a naturally aspirated car, when you're using light throttle, a supercharged car still pulls vacuum, not boost. As long as you keep the boost gauge in the vacuum side (which is normal during part throttle driving), you're not using any more fuel than a naturally aspirated car.

2001 Dark Highland Green Bullitt
[email protected] naturally aspirated on a bone stock 2V longblock

Under Reconstruction for RS275 Drag Radial Class
Pushrods and Powerglide Coming Soon

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to mell0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt5339 View Post
Not true, just like a naturally aspirated car, when you're using light throttle, a supercharged car still pulls vacuum, not boost. As long as you keep the boost gauge in the vacuum side (which is normal during part throttle driving), you're not using any more fuel than a naturally aspirated car.
well, maybe a little bit, considering the drive belt also has to turn the supercharger pulley. that's why 8psi out of a supercharger kit will net you significantly less horsepower compared to an 8psi turboed kit. there is what we call "parasitic loss" with superchargers. although these days they are making superchargers more and more efficient to deal with the parasitic loss.

2002 Procharged GT
351rwhp, 353rwtq
12.503 @ 113.08

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010
GT Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Turbos are generally more expenive to purchase and install, because they're a little more complicated. Take a look at the parts list provided with each complete kit and you'll see what I mean.

On a street car, a turbo is generally more efficient, and will adjust for things like air density and altitude. Properly designed, you'll get 12 pounds of boost at sea level, and 12 pounds of boost at 11,000'. That's a nice feature. Also, if you want to switch between gasoline and E85, the turbo can be easily adjusted for that.

In the past, turbos were for road racing and blowers were for drag racing. Technology has improved over the years, so those lines have blurred a bit.

.boB
'08 V6 Pony
'65 Monster FFR Cobra
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
IMO a turbo makes more power, but its a more involved install and more expensive. If you want sick power, Twin Turbos are the way to go.

A turbo runs off the exhaust so there is no parasitic drag loss like with a supercharger.

But superchargers like the E-Force i'm having installed, give you nice low end torque for off the line neck snapping torque. Thats what i think of when i think supercharged, so thats why i got it

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010
Apprentice
4.6L Member

supercharger all day!!!!!!!! specificly a procharger
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mell0 View Post
well, maybe a little bit, considering the drive belt also has to turn the supercharger pulley. that's why 8psi out of a supercharger kit will net you significantly less horsepower compared to an 8psi turboed kit. there is what we call "parasitic loss" with superchargers. although these days they are making superchargers more and more efficient to deal with the parasitic loss.
I was referring to the "no boost at low throttle" comment and saving gas because it wasn't in boost. Just pointing out that was the case with a supercharger as well.

Parasitic loss sucks. All those stupid things our engines have to run. Things like power steering, water pump, alternator, air conditioning. Even the driveshaft, clutch and rear end causes parasitic loss. Stupid parasites.........

2001 Dark Highland Green Bullitt
[email protected] naturally aspirated on a bone stock 2V longblock

Under Reconstruction for RS275 Drag Radial Class
Pushrods and Powerglide Coming Soon

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to mell0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt5339 View Post
I was referring to the "no boost at low throttle" comment and saving gas because it wasn't in boost. Just pointing out that was the case with a supercharger as well.

Parasitic loss sucks. All those stupid things our engines have to run. Things like power steering, water pump, alternator, air conditioning. Even the driveshaft, clutch and rear end causes parasitic loss. Stupid parasites.........

gotcha. yeah for the most part i lost like 1-2mpg. but honestly, it was 100% worth it. being able to step on it and absolutely fly never gets old. well it eventually does, but then more power is just a pulley swap away!

2002 Procharged GT
351rwhp, 353rwtq
12.503 @ 113.08

MACH I Member
4.6L Member

Yea supercharger is def less expensive. I always thought supercharger would be more reliable for a street car, Im somewhat biased but I say go with the KB, save some bucks and still get some crazy low end torque pinning you back into the seat like you want. But a a turbo will make some pretty nasty power too.

-04 Mustang GT-Intercooled Kenne bell 2.1L supercharged @10psi, bolt ons, 3:73 gears, big brake upgrade, some suspension, 315's rear.

-08 Corvette Z06-B&B exhaust, K&N filter.

-12 Tacoma Prerunner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page