Ford Mustang Forum

Ford Mustang Forum (/forums/)
-   4.6L Tech (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-tech/)
-   -   1998 mustang stumbled then died (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-tech/237964-1998-mustang-stumbled-then-died.html)

NoVacancy907 05-26-2010 07:03 PM

1998 mustang stumbled then died

I was driving on the freeway yesterday and it stumbled then died 30 seconds latter. I coasted off the freeway and cycled the key off and on and it started back up. It ran fine the rest of the day. But today i went to take off and while idleing it stumbled a little but ran fine, i got like half a mile from my house and it dies and wont start. Ive been trouble shooting it but have not found anything wrong. Any ideas of what it may be

bassinbob99 05-26-2010 08:55 PM

Have you changed your fuel filter lately? Did this happen after buying gas? You may have got water with your gas. There are several things that could cause this but start simple first. Does it run now that you got it home? If not, listen for fuel pump to come on and switch off when pressure comes up. Make sure you have pressure at fuel rail, then check if it's firing.

FAKnGT 05-28-2010 07:48 AM

Check engine light on? I will probably be referring to this a lot since the same thing happened to me in a different car while on the freeway. Doing 80, loss of power down to 60. Get off freeway and it just wants to stall, barely made it home. Turned out to be the EGR.

NoVacancy907 05-28-2010 09:02 PM

Got it fixed,after checking fuel pressure and spark. I found my theift light to be on, traced it down to a loose wire. Tightened it and it started right up