1997 Mustang 4.6 clutch noise - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

1997 Mustang 4.6 clutch noise

Hello,
I have a 1997 4.6 and I am having a problem with clutch noise.

When I first got the car about a month ago the transmission was hard to shift , it would pop out of reverse and the clutch pedal would vibrate and rattle.

From looking on the internet forums, I decided that my clutch cable needed to be adjusted. I atemped to pull up on the clutch pedal to hear a click, but that did not work. So I found a mod that I could do to the pedal to manually adjust it.

The problem I have now is that even though the transmission shifts way smoother and the pedal no longer vibrates, I am getting a noise when I depress the clutch pedal. It only happens when the pedal is fully at the floor. If I pop the transmission into neutral and let off the pedal the noise stop.

I thought maybe the throw out bearing maybe shot. But from what I have been reading the bearing usually makes noise when the pedal is released?

I even tryed slackin off some of my adjustment on the cable but it doesnt seem to help.

any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Sounds like the throwout bearing. You may have removed too much tension when you set up the manual adjustment making the bearing stay in contact with the pressure plate, that will toast the bearing in a hurry. Try letting some slack in there, there needs to be 1/8 to 1/4 inch between the bearing and plate.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

I slacked it off at the pedal, but the noise is sill there and then the pedal vibrated like crazy. Is there a way to adjust the throw out bearing under the car? though the inspection cover maybe?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

No, the bearing may be bad, but I don't think it would cause vibration. Make sure the cable is routed right and have a look inside the inspection cover in the trans, but vibration is not a good sign.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page