Engine Chugging with Modified Exhaust - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
V6 Member
4.6L Member

Engine Chugging with Modified Exhaust

I have a 98 Mustang GT. I've had her for 4 years now. I haven't had much problems until recently. about 2 months ago did a regular tuneup due to some rough running and chugging. That seemed to help for awhile. This last week the chugging got much worse on a daily basis. We found a couple of spark plugs fouled out due to the thermostat housing seal broke and some fluid leaking in the sparkplug wells. We cleaned it all up, replaced the bad seal and replaced the spark plugs. Still the chugging. We went to an auto parts store where they put on the diagnois machine. It showed the EGR valve to be bad. We bought a new one and replaced it. It runs worse than it did before. We went back to the store because we were at a lost of what was going on. I have modified exhaust on my car. I have H pipe with the cats removed totally. The guy said it's either my O2 sensors, but we don't see them, or the EGR valve is trying to make the engine run correctly but can't due to the illegal modified exhaust system. I bought the car this way. When going up any slight incline I have to downshift several times. If I'm on the freeway and have gotten up speed I do pretty good except when someone cuts me off or slows me down and then if I try to accelerate I hear like sputtering and almost sounds like it's misfiring. My daughter and I work on the car all the time and know it inside and out but this has totally baffled up. Would appreciate anyones help with this problem. The store says I need to replace the cats, sensors costing over 2K which it's quite a bit I think. Thanks for all your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

this shouldn't be in the 2005-2010 tech but anyway...... you could get a tune with the o2 sensors shut off. at the very worse buy new o2 sensors find where the other person cut them off rewire them and weld in new bungs. 2v's aren't my cup of tea.

D.O.B. 3V/GT500 Kit 463 RWHP/ 465 RWTRQ @ 11.5 PSI on 92oct - Dyno Dynamics Dyno
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
The rear O2 sensors do nothing for performance. They just monitor catalyst efficiency. Something else is clearly wrong.

1965 Mustang Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page