2002 Mustang GT-engine reving high - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

2002 Mustang GT-engine reving high

Hey guys i got a problem with my car reving high . My car usually idles around 900 rpms. It started afew days ago i started my car let it warm up alittle then headed down the road, now when ever i down shift and stop the car allways would idle high for a second then dump down to the normal 900 rpms now it idles at 1400 rpms and it wont drop anyways i got home shut the car off and restarted it worked fine idled at 900 rpms but this problem has been showing up more often. Anybody with any sugestions please post. Could it be an idle sensor or something like that.

2002 gt, steeda cai,bbk 75mm tb, trickflow plenum,bbk udp,bbk shorty headers,bbk o/r x pipe,magnaflow catbacks,aluminum driveshaft,aluminum subframe,eibach lowering springs,n/x nitrous system,short throw shifter,digital tach w/ shift light,black cobra r rims
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010
Apprentice
4.6L Member

a few suggestions - I had this problem, maybe not as drastic

Can clean the sensor in the MAF. I did this about a month ago after mine was idling a bit high and it helped.

You can also check all vacuum lines for leaks (home made stethiscope aka rubber hose to the ear)

It could also be your Idle Air Control valve.

Good luck with it.

96 GT - PI Intake & cams, O/R h-pipe, Flowmasters - 40s, Short Throw Shifter, 3.73 FRPP gears.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010
Rookie

2000 GT same problem

My 2000 Mustang GT did the same thing today...I dont know what it is and because it doesnt do it all the time its hard to troubleshoot. Im thinking it may be the the trottle position sensor?? if you figured out what the problem was I would appreciated it if you could let me know, thanks.. also my idle is getting stuck a bit higher, closer to the 1800-2000 mark...

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010
Rookie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondreaming View Post
My 2000 Mustang GT did the same thing today...I dont know what it is and because it doesnt do it all the time its hard to troubleshoot. Im thinking it may be the the trottle position sensor?? if you figured out what the problem was I would appreciated it if you could let me know, thanks.. also my idle is getting stuck a bit higher, closer to the 1800-2000 mark...
come on ya'll,, this has been covered a million times.. Yes clean your MAF, but it always comes down to being the cheap IAC (idle air control). they always go bad and will continue to go bad. Just replace it and don't worry about it anymore..

don't mean to come off ignorant, but this happens to just about everyone.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010
Rookie

okay but....

I just bought the car in feburary and the dealer replaced the IAC before I bought, so 6 months for it go bad? seems kinda soon
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010
Apprentice

Hmm, sounds like it could be either a bad part or possible an intermitten problem that the dealer didnt diagnose correctly, do you have a warranty on the part?

2001 Mineral Grey Mustang GT
-Bolt ons-Kooks Long Tubes/Catless X-SLP LM1-FRPP 3.73s-Comp XE262AH (5 Degrees Advanced)-Spec Stage 2 Clutch-Maximum Motorsports Full Suspension-Front Coilovers-Rear T/A Springs-Torsen T2R W/ 31 Spline Axles
In Progress...
-Cobra Iron Block-TFS Twisted Wedge Heads-Kenne Bell 2.6H-CMS Cams
1/4 Mile in: Unknown
Autocross/Road Race FTW!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page