Cannot locate a knocking noise coming from a 1999 GT Mustang - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Cannot locate a knocking noise coming from a 1999 GT Mustang

Ok, Ive always had a knocking noise coming from this car since I bought this car 8 months ago. I completely rebuilt the motor and it still had a knocking noise that would come and go. So I pulled it apart again thinking it was the timing chains slapping around.... Well thats not it.

It seems to be loudest when the car is idling and then it will be quiet for 50 miles and then it will start knocking again for like 5 mins. You can hear it better when you stick your head under the car verses when your over the engine compartment. It knocks if the clutch is engaged or not. It knocks if the belt is hooked up or not.

It is not a rod knock because they dont come and go. its not the lash adjusters or the cam followers. Not the timing chains, not the exhaust. Everything is good. So im 100% sure its not in the engine.

But for some reason I cant get a bolt in the top right of the bellhousing to block because it is offset. The 2 dowel pins line up and all the other bolts line up. Is it something in the transmission that would make a knocking noise. Why cant I get that bolt to line up? It was like that with the original block too. Are there different bolt patterns for the 4.6 motor? I have the windsor. I know the car should have a t-45 but how do I tell whats in it? Are all tranny bolt patterns the same?
Im so fed up with car its not even funny. All I want is the knocking sound to go away. Ive taken it to Ford twice and both times the noise isnt in it till I get home..

Most people would sell this P.O.S and move on but I really want to figure out this knocking noise.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member

I have been doing some checking into my trans issue and different sites talk about various noises from the trans. A knocking noise is one of the noises along with ticking noises and clunking. Could tjis be your issue?Good luck.

License and registration please.

Current rides:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page