2001 4.6L Mustang Dry Rot from sitting too long - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

2001 4.6L Mustang Dry Rot from sitting too long

Hello all, new to the forum and hoping to learn a alot from you all. I've just recently purchased my first Mustang, a 2001 4.6L with 56K miles for $4,000. I know i stole the dang thing, couldnt pass it up. Car runs great, only thing i had to immediately replace was the #3 ignition coil which was causing the car to sputter at speed and idle.

Now the downside to the low miles is the fact it sat awhile. I've been able to go through the car a little more now that i have owned it for a month and have found that several hoses appear to have substantial dry rot. I'm also coding with a "Small emissions leak", which i am sure has something to do with the bad hoses. I've also pin pointed an active fuel leak at the rubber grommet leading into the fuel tank on the filler tube.

I'm a noob to auto-motive repair, but i know that with information and the experience of folks like yourselves, i can properly perform nearly all repairs needed on this car.

My question to you all, are there any kits available for replacing all hoses and lines that could have been subject to dry rot or am i going to have to pull each one, carry it to the auto store and say "I need this hose". Basically looking to replace all hoses, belts and lines because i really dont know what all needs to be replaced.

Thanks in advance for any help provided and any other advice to dress up the car or increase its performance would be greatly appreciated, already looking at body kits, can't stand the unfinished look under the front bumper!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to mell0
pulling each one is most likely going to be your best bet. if you could take pictures of them, we could probably identify them and get you part numbers so you could buy them straight from ford. but that would cost you probably 5 times as much as just pulling them and measuring them out. how do the tires look after sitting for that long?

2002 Procharged GT
351rwhp, 353rwtq
12.503 @ 113.08

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks Mello for replying, thats what i was afraid of, having to go part for part to the store. I'll get out here and take some pics to post. The previous owner actually just put brand new tires on it about a year and a half ago than let it sit. He unfortunately has medical issues that prevented him from being able to drive the car. One of the back tires though has a small gash in it, like from a curb or something. Will have to replace that one.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

there's nothing to fear going to the parts store. they sell vacuum tubing (i'm assuming that's what's dry rotted) for a few bucks per foot. if you really want, you could just go and buy like 5 or 6 feet of tubing, bring it home and then do the measuring and cutting yourself. it really isn't something to be worried about. just bring a sample to the store so they know what diameter tubing to get you.

2002 Procharged GT
351rwhp, 353rwtq
12.503 @ 113.08

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010
Apprentice
4.6L Member

hey, your other bet is to but the Stainless steel flex hosing kits, but you cut them to fit. . . I did it, I bought the 48" kit and the small hose kit that had 35", but like i said you have to cut them to fit, but they look GREAT and are around the same price as replacing all of the hosing in car
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010
Apprentice
4.6L Member

unless it is your vacuum tubing.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

yeah i think it is his vacuum tubing. he said he was throwing a CEL related to emissions, which leads me to believe it's vacuum tubing.

2002 Procharged GT
351rwhp, 353rwtq
12.503 @ 113.08

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
dry rot , hoses , leak

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page