Big Crank Problem! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Exclamation Big Crank Problem!

Well I am new here as of today. Here is my issue, I have a 2001 GT with very basic mods. Well I was trying to install underdrive pullies coem to find out the shop I was working in didnt have the right pully pullers for me, so I go to put the stock pullies back on. Well the CRANK its self is stripped, the threads on the bolt itself look ok, and there was metal shavings on the bolt. Well this happened back in Sept of last year and deployed right after it happened. But I ordered a new set of heads and cams (It also blew a spark plug, but no big deal), and I will need to pull the crank pully off. Any ideas on a quick fix? I get back to Germany in 2 months, and then back state side in Dec, at which time I am dropping in a new MMR 5.4 so I just need a quick fix that will keep me going until then.. Thanks in advance for any information on this..

2001 GT, 3.73 Gears, K&N CAI, MGW S/S, Bassani catted X w/ flowmaster chambers. Soon to be MMR 5.4, with P51 intake, BBK Ceramic L/Ts, Moser 31 splines, Eaton locker, Alum. Drive Shaft, 4.10s, Modular Head shop stage 2 PI head/cam set up.

~Go Big Or Go Home~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010
Rookie

Helical coil insert. You ream the existing threaded hole and tap for an insert. The insert is a coil of steel, usually stainless steel, which inserts into the newly tapped hole and has an internal thread which matches the bolt pitch. It's a fairly quick fix.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

alright sweet.. Being stationed in Germany and living on post they are [email protected]@es about letting people to work in the parking lot, and the shop has the crappiest selection of tools. How much do helicoils cost? and I know its all dependant on the shop, but about how much do I look at spending for a shop to do it? Thanks for the info

2001 GT, 3.73 Gears, K&N CAI, MGW S/S, Bassani catted X w/ flowmaster chambers. Soon to be MMR 5.4, with P51 intake, BBK Ceramic L/Ts, Moser 31 splines, Eaton locker, Alum. Drive Shaft, 4.10s, Modular Head shop stage 2 PI head/cam set up.

~Go Big Or Go Home~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page