cobra motor found but got questions - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

cobra motor found but got questions

hey guys i found this motor to put in my car. I have a few questions.

does 98 svt cobra motors come with forged cranks?

second how hard is it to rebuild?

and last but not least it says minus lower intake. I can not find one listed for sale anywhere. Where can i find one and about what price do they run?

Below is quoted the ad

"up for grabs a 98 mustang svt cobra motor. it has an aluminimum teksid block (worth $300 alone BARE) Forged steel cobra crank. Complete motor minus the lower intake manifold. Everything else from wireing harness to oil pan there. 4 v heads and cams. Needs rebuild. will sell for $250"

what you think?

96 Gt Midnight Blue, x-pipe, aeroforce scan gauge, CIA, 4.10 gear, sub frame connectors, 3 point strut support, lowered 2 inches, Nitto 555rs on Chrome FR500's.

Procharger coming soon with anderson powerpipe, 8rip pulley upgrade kit, 42# injectors, svt focus 255 lph fuel pump and one bad ass tire spinning tune...and well what ever else i can afford in the future. Also looking at fixing a tranny repairs with since power is coming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

just be safe and do a piswap

1990 mustang gt 5.0l, red, aod- its build time

2001 mustang gt lots of mods- sold
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Hey forgot to mention the ccar currently has no motor or tranny thats why i am considering the motor.

96 Gt Midnight Blue, x-pipe, aeroforce scan gauge, CIA, 4.10 gear, sub frame connectors, 3 point strut support, lowered 2 inches, Nitto 555rs on Chrome FR500's.

Procharger coming soon with anderson powerpipe, 8rip pulley upgrade kit, 42# injectors, svt focus 255 lph fuel pump and one bad ass tire spinning tune...and well what ever else i can afford in the future. Also looking at fixing a tranny repairs with since power is coming.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010
Apprentice

The 98's did come with forged cranks.

Not too hard to rebuild if you get a few books and read through them. I built mine myself.

Lower intake really shouldn't be too hard to find. Saw the complete upper/lower/injectors/ and all on ebay.

Sport Compacts are those too weak for Torque!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

sorry folks motor was sold this morning... I missed it

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue96gt View Post
hey guys i found this motor to put in my car. I have a few questions.

does 98 svt cobra motors come with forged cranks?

second how hard is it to rebuild?

and last but not least it says minus lower intake. I can not find one listed for sale anywhere. Where can i find one and about what price do they run?

Below is quoted the ad

"up for grabs a 98 mustang svt cobra motor. it has an aluminimum teksid block (worth $300 alone BARE) Forged steel cobra crank. Complete motor minus the lower intake manifold. Everything else from wireing harness to oil pan there. 4 v heads and cams. Needs rebuild. will sell for $250"

what you think?
The "needs rebuild" thing is kind of scary to me. If you tear it down, and the cylinder walls are damaged, then the block is worthless. If it spun a rod bearing and they ran it very long after that, then the crank could be irrepareable. And those are the 2 most important parts of the '98 Cobra engine, because a PI engine with a few bolt-ons will roast a stock '98 Cobra.

Lower intake missing is also a bit troubling, because that means the IMRCs aren't there as well.

I would pass, personally.

2001 Dark Highland Green Bullitt
[email protected] naturally aspirated on a bone stock 2V longblock

Under Reconstruction for RS275 Drag Radial Class
Pushrods and Powerglide Coming Soon

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page