Easy ? bout replacing my spark plugs - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Easy ? bout replacing my spark plugs

I am replacing my spark plugs on my 04 gt. First time i have dun plugs on car with EDIS. All other cars i have dun, the plug wire boots fit tight and seem to almost click onto the plug.

I tried pushing a plug into the coil when out of engine, and the metal (almost spring like) conductor in the coil boot doesnt seem fit real tight around the plug terminal. Seems hard to tell of the coil conductor is slipping over the plug terminal when pushed into the cylinder.

Is this how they fit? or any tips on connecting these?

Flowmaster Cat Back, BBK X-pipe, SCT X3 Tuner (91oct), MGW Short Shifter, Roush Shaker intake w/ K&N, 225/45/zr17 Eagle F1's, H&R sport springs, MM sub connects, HID conversion 8000k.
Shorty Antenna for the major Power Adder Oh, and alot of wax
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Well, got the rest dun, but just worried the coil boot conductor may not be slipping of the plug terminal tip. Seems like it is, but cant feel it click into place. Sure many of u hav done the simple plug swap, anyone have problems connecting the coils 2 the plugs?

Flowmaster Cat Back, BBK X-pipe, SCT X3 Tuner (91oct), MGW Short Shifter, Roush Shaker intake w/ K&N, 225/45/zr17 Eagle F1's, H&R sport springs, MM sub connects, HID conversion 8000k.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010
TRT
Rookie
4.6L Member

I did mine a couple of weeks ago and you are right it just seems kind
of hit or miss. FWIW, after I was finished the car ran fine.
I ran it at the drags a couple of days later and the car ran as it
normally does. I figured if it was mis-firing it would defimitely show
up there.

Tim

Just say to street racing
14.2002 @ 97.10 MPH
2001 Mustang GT Convertible Auto
K&N FIPK, Predator 93 Octane tune
4.10s, Hoosier 26x9-15 slicks

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Reason why im replacing the plugs, is thought i might hav a misfire issue. at idle, the motor has a shake to it, and if let it idle for more than 3min, smoke starts comin from exhaust. Fuel smells really rich too. The rmps at idle dont really lope, and car runs fine when u driving and on the gas.
I checked for DTC codes with my tuner, and nothing showed up. Wouldve thought a missing cylinder wouldve shown a code. Hopefully the plugs do it.
If u or anyone has any other ideas of what might cause this, besides the IAC, would love 2 hear your input.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010
Rookie

Smile

I now also have a 4.6 GT and will be doing a plug swap soon as I like the Irridium Plugs... Anyway... before this I had a 4.0 V6... I stupidly installed a set of E3 plugs and it ran good for a couple of months. One day on the way to work, wham, out of the blue it started to run so rough it almost through me out of the car, but it did not through a code and did not light the check engine light. Anyway, inspecting the plugs, they looked terrible, so I got a set of Bosch Irridiums and a new set of wires and put them on, and the car ran great, better than ever.

I mentioned the fact that it was running so poorly to a mechanic I know, and he said that Ford decided, in their infinite wisdom, not to bother with misfires like GM does with their computers, and thus there was no permanent or temporary code. I thought it funny that the Oxygen Sensor should have gone nuts and thrown a code, but no it did not. I then remembered a similar problem I had years before with a Turbo PT Cruiser. One of the injectors hung open and it was running rough and smoking like crazy, but again, no check engine light and no code... Hmmmmm. Took the dealer two weeks to figure out it was an injector, as he said it held pressure and everything, but they replaced the four injectors on the four banger and it ran great.

So.... bottom line, PCM's and the OBD II are great tools, but can not always troubleshoot every problem. Experience seems to still be the key in some instances. Good luck with resolving your problem ...... Hope you find it soon and are once more driving around happy as can be.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Finally got some time to check some things out and swap my plugs. Resistance on coils checked out good, swapped the plugs for E3 plugs (out of the bosch). Checked/cleaned IAC again, cleaned out air filter since it was out (man was it filthy).
After that, the car seemed to run better. A little less shake, but it still shakes, mainly when slowing down for a light while pushing in the clutch. It will still give a little white smoke out the exhaust if idles for a couple min. Still no codes..
Anything else i should check/test?

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member

did u try cleaning the MAF sensor, i cleaned mine out the other day and notice a slight more power, it might help with your little rough idle too. they sell MAF sensor cleaner at advanced auto parts for like 8 bucks, great stuff by the way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page