2002 Mustang GT Engine rattle - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

2002 Mustang GT Engine rattle

Just wondering if anyone can help identify the rattle I am getting from my engine. It seems to always be there but I can't really hear it when I am actually driving because it's not that loud. It seems to be coming from the passengers side of the engine (maybe internal? or from one of the pulley wheels??) The cadence of the rattle goes up when I rev the engine but it does not get louder... just faster.
I have posted a video of it... its kinda hard to hear but if someone would take a look at the vid and let me know what you think that would be great.

YouTube - 02 Mustang GT engine rattle

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2010
PONY Member
5.0L Member

did you just change your oil recently, if so it could be the oil weight

Old 06-13-2010
Rookie

My timing chain tensioner arm on my 2003 broke in half recently, sounds very similar.

2003 GT- CAI, plentum, 75mm TB, UD pulleys, stage 3 clutch, short throw, o/r h-pipe, flows, Tien lowering springs, kenny brown camber kit. Future plans-intake manifold, cams, headers.

Old 06-13-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Oil was changed about 2500mi ago.

Is there a way to tell if the arm is bad? are we talking like cracking or what?
Old 06-13-2010
Apprentice
4.6L Member

thats not a spun bearing on one of the pullies? take a long flathead and put it ontop of the bolt holding on the pulleys and you can hear a difference if u put ur ear on the end of the flathead
Old 06-13-2010
Apprentice
4.6L Member

i wanna say thats what my engine sounded like before i swap'd the engines, but that was 2 years ago when the original engine ran
Old 06-14-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member

A quick way to see if it is one of the pullies is to remove the belt and start the car. See if the noise is still there, if it is not then you have isolated it to one of the pullies and/or its assesory.

And no running the car a little bit w/o the belt will not hurt it just do not over heat it

2013 GT Brembo Black, 3:73, 6-Speed, GT500's, Urethan Shift Bushing, 8 Ball Shifter, J&M LCA's & PHB, Eibach Pro springs, SR Performance F/R Adj Sway bars, KONI Orange Struts & Shocks, SCT S4/XF4 tuner w/BAMA tunes.
Old 06-14-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

NM... answered my own question

Last edited by elbarto; 06-14-2010 at 08:13 PM. Reason: oops
Old 06-15-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

OK... so I pulled the belt off and ran the engine... noise is gone. Now, how to I figure out which accessory is making the noise. Just from looking at it I think it seems to be from either the belt tensioner or the little belt idler.
I tried the screw driver method and I am not quite sure it is making a difference...

would this be a good time to install some underdrive pulleys or is it more likely to be one of the accessories itself?
Old 06-18-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

anyone?

Bueller?
Old 06-20-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Update... did the whole screw driver thing and I thought it was the idle pulley on the top pass side of the engine or the pulley on the tensioner arm. Replaced both this morning and the sound still persists. I did the screw driver thing again and the sound only seems to be coming from the idle pulley.... I took the belt off again and the sound went away. I don't get it... I replaced the pulley and the sound is still there!

Any ideas?
Old 06-26-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Does anyone know how to tell if the tensioner arm is the thing causing problems? I replaced the pulley on it but that did not help.
Old 06-26-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

If the tensioner arm is bad, you'll see it jumping around a lot when the engine is running. It's not uncommon for the tensioner to go bad either.

It's good to see that you've narrowed down the problem, now you just have to isolate it and kill it.

2001 Dark Highland Green Bullitt
[email protected] naturally aspirated on a bone stock 2V longblock

Under Reconstruction for RS275 Drag Radial Class
Pushrods and Powerglide Coming Soon

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.
Old 07-01-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Not seeing any real abnormal movement from the belt so I don't think it is the arm itself. A friend thinks that it might be the barrings on the AC pulley. Would a normal autoparts store carry a ac pulley? Also, how do I go about getting it off, I hear you need a special tool and what not.
Old 07-04-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Turns out it was the barrings on all three of the idle pulleys... Sound had lessened some after replacing the first two smooth ones and I got it to go away completely after replacing the final grooved one.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in