1998 Mustang GT: Great Idle..Stumbles Cruising at Part Throttle - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

1998 Mustang GT: Great Idle..Stumbles Cruising at Part Throttle

Hey all,

I really, and I mean really hate to keep adding to this excellent thread, but I have a 98 GT bone stock except for a K&N. It has been stored for about 5 years, but I start it every 2 months and run it. When I put it away I was having this issue and am still having it after taking it for a short run last week. Believe me, I have google this for three years and read tons of info before posting anywhere. Seems to be so much conflicting info out there..so here we are!

It started back just before I stored it. No start or a very hard start, followed by poor idle, an intake backfire and then in would smooth out.I pulled the IAC cleaned it and that problem went away. What I had then and still have now is a great start and smooth idle but after driving it for 20 mins or so I start to get the cruising, part throttle missing, it happens around 1500-2000. If I take the auto trans out of OD and run the RPM's up I don't see it so much, If I get on it, no hesitation at all !! looks rich in the rear-view mirror and it just doesn't seem to have the jump it did (65,000 now)

While driving it the other day I threw a code of 443, the "Canister Purge Sensor" I have one on order and expect it any day. However, its about 50/50 out there on the WWW that the sensor won't cause my stumble symptoms?? Will it?? I am going to try that first and check all lines and the PVC once again! I have a new IAC and again I read about 50/50 that it may cause the symptoms? Could it? very confusing.

New O2's..Cleaned the MAF with or course MAF cleaner, didn't work! The EGR seems to be moving okay but I have not pulled it off and cleaned it. Cleaned the throttle body. The plugs were new when I stored it bosch I think? and the wires and coil packs are original. The rich mix puzzle's me, but maybe it would make sense if I knew what was wrong.

Sorry for the repeat and the long post..Any ideas? could it be a combo of EGR, IAC and the purge sensor? Wires?? TPS? AGH!! don't have much money to try everything..love some input!

Thanks Much
Phil

~If it ain't broke, you're not driving it hard enough!!~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

No Ideas??

Anybody? Too wordy? Or just over covered? I am not sure that my exact problem has been covered anywhere that I can find..Would love some input, even if its Dunno..lol

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

PLEASE..Anyone seen P1443 error cause a driveability issue?

Well, since I'm getting any input, I'll update myself.

Cleaned EGR even though it was working (put a vacuum pump on it and it held pressure) and not carboned up. Still replaced it.

Last night replaced:

EGR Valve
TSP
Canister Purge Sensor
IAC
Checked for vacuum leaks and could not find any.
Cleaned MAF with CRC Cleaner
Pulled plugs and checked gap

I replaced the purge sensor cause I was throwing a 443 error. I cleared the code and was driving it after replacing the above items and the stumble was not SO bad, then the engine light came popped back on and it immediately got 10 times worst! Same P1443 code!

But everyone says that this problem won't cause a driveability problem?? Has anyone seen a purge canister issue cause the stumble/surge problem?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page