Engine swap help please ,2000 Mustang GT - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

Engine swap help please ,2000 Mustang GT

I just bought a 2000 mustang gt from a buddy and he blew the engine. I really wanted to know i could i put a 5.0 in ? If its not worth it what are my other options and do you have any refrences where i may be able to get the engine from. I am not trying to go to the junk yard cause i dont want to be in the same position in a year. I also really don't want to spend 3000 for an engine lol. I know I am a tough one but any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance ..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010
PONY Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

first off what is your mechanical experience? and which 5.0 are you talking about the 80s one or the 2011 one?

Black 2006 GT T-2 Torsen Diff, 3.73 gears, FRPP 90MM CAI, SCT X-Cal 3 tuner/ Speed Inc. dyno tune, FRPP catbacks, Steeda Triaxe w/ Hurst stick and T handle, SVT strut mounts, FRPP strut brace, Steeda UDP, JBA long tube headers, JBA O/R H-pipe, CHE LCAs, CHE anti-squat brackets, Steeda adj. UCA, Steeda heavy duty engine mounts, FRPP AC delete, Shaftmasters aluminum driveshaft, Hotchkis swaybars, Corbeau FX1 Pro

DONE: 1968 Convertible PROJECT candy apple red 289 w/ edelbrock 4bbl 600 cfm
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010
Apprentice
4.6L Member

ok the 5.0L are great engines.... and all you would need is engine and mounts and wiring harness(just the engine) and a computer out of an sn95.. now as far as gettin a junk yard engine there not that bad.. get one off craigslist.. and then get a rebuild kit.. cheap and then you know what your engine can hold for power

96 GT... port and polished non-pi heads, PI cams and Intake, 78mm BBK TB, AC Delete, CAI, MAC long tube headers, Pypes H-pipe no cats, "Very loud".. SLP LoudMouth I's, Steeda Clutch Kit, steeda underdrive, 5-sd, Hurst STS Kit, 93 SCT BAMA tune , 3.73 Rear end and lowered 2" front and 1" in back..:laughlitt

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKillerSN95 View Post
ok the 5.0L are great engines.... and all you would need is engine and mounts and wiring harness(just the engine) and a computer out of an sn95..
A 2000 Mustang is included in the SN95 family. And the 5.0 is a fine motor for cars like a fox body.. where they belong. You could at least replace the superior, at stock vs stock, 4.6L SOHC Performance Improved (99-04 GT) and go from there.

Unless of course you're talking about the New DOHC 5.0L in which case its seems to be a great motor but there are tried and true swaps to get that level of performance for less and in a more SN95 friendly package, like a slightly built up naturally aspirated DOHC 4.6L.

2000 MUSTANG GT
-300hp & 365ftlb Est // Dynoed at 253rwhp 309ftlb
-T45RSS Built by John Reggio // Baer 13in. Track Claw // Koni Shocks and Struts// Eibach Sportlines // Ford Racing Upper & Maximum Motorsport Lower Control Arms // Ford Racing '95 Cobra Rs // Toyos // Ram HDX Clutch // Ford Racing 4.10s // CAI & BBK 75mm TB // BBK Catted X-pipe // Hooker Aero Chambers // Custom Tuned using SCT
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

Engine swap

Sorry I am new at this whole thread posting and I have no mechanical experience my dad is a mechanic but he's a chevy guy . I am just trying to get the biggest bang for my buck . I was talking about an older 5.0 I don't think it would be worth it to put a new one in my car . I also am not looking to make my car a race car I just want something that has good power and I can drive everyday . If I was to go with the 4.6 which would be my best bet. I also look on Craigslist everyday can't seem to find one that was running . If it was it had 140000 miles on it .Thanks alot for the help
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010
Banned
4.6L Member

I would just look for a used 4.6 PI engine on Ebay or similar...the old 5.0s make less power:225hp compared to 260/4.6 PI motor, also no headaches on a hybrid swap
engine 4.6 police interceptor: eBay Motors (item 170496568000 end time Jun-17-10 07:43:26 PDT)
Not "police interceptor" but this is what you would need
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedhelp410410 View Post
Sorry I am new at this whole thread posting and I have no mechanical experience my dad is a mechanic but he's a chevy guy . I am just trying to get the biggest bang for my buck .
No worries! We all have to learn some how.

My vote is a new or slightly used 4.6L SOHC PI replacement like mentioned above.

2000 MUSTANG GT
-300hp & 365ftlb Est // Dynoed at 253rwhp 309ftlb
-T45RSS Built by John Reggio // Baer 13in. Track Claw // Koni Shocks and Struts// Eibach Sportlines // Ford Racing Upper & Maximum Motorsport Lower Control Arms // Ford Racing '95 Cobra Rs // Toyos // Ram HDX Clutch // Ford Racing 4.10s // CAI & BBK 75mm TB // BBK Catted X-pipe // Hooker Aero Chambers // Custom Tuned using SCT
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

Question

Dohc Sohc what are the difference as far as performance ? Thanks alot guys .
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

engine swap

also can i put the police interceptor 4.6 engine ? is it a better motor? sorry for all the questions i just dont have alot of money to play with and i want to make sure i make the right decision thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
4.6l , engine , motor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page