2002 Mustang 4.6L engine repair or replace? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

2002 Mustang 4.6L engine repair or replace?

Hello,
I'm looking for some guidance and advice. My 2002 GT has an engine problem (120,000 miles). It still drives but has an inconsistent or rough idle. I have taken it to a couple places and they both confirmed the problem to be low/ no compression in #8 cylinder. So my question is: Should I get the engine repaired or would it be better to replace it. Also should I put a used engine or a remanufactured engine. If I were to replace it, does anyone know of reputable dealers of used engines? Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks,
Phillyjax1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010
Rookie
5.0L Member

Wow, doing that at 120,000 miles?

1985 Mustang GT conv. underdrive pulleys, equal length headers, true dual exhaust, 3.55:1 8.8'' rear end. 235,000+ miles. Running with 17 degrees of initial timing.

1996 Thunderbird LX stock 4.6L V8. MAC cold air. 225/60/15 BFG g-Force Sport V-rated. J-moded 4r70W. 172 rwhp 240 rwtq
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Drive it until it dies and meantime,save your funds and start shopping for a good replacement. Start in your local area and talk to different machine shops and performance shops. They can point you in the correct direction when it is time. Having only 120,000 miles with a bad cylinder tells me it has been rode hard and put away wet. OK if it's a fire truck.haha Therefore finding a quality used engine may prove difficult and risky. If you plan to keep the car,treat this as an investment. Good luck.

License and registration please.

Current rides:

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

Cool thanks for the advice...I haven't driven it too hard and have kept up on all the service and maintenance. It happened when I was cruisin along and someone pulled out in front of me. I downshifted from 4th to 2nd and the rpms shot up, but it didn't redline. I guess it's just a fluke thing...anyone else have further advice?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010
Rookie

you can find a low mileage 4.6 for less than 1k you just have to do some searching, but if you want more power it may be the time to do a swap, well good luck man.

96 Cobra Steggy Stage 4 w/2.76"/Meth Inj /IRS/ 01 Cams/ FR Shorties/ BF Idlers/Teksid/ Mahle Pistons, H-beams/ 60# INJ/ Spec 3 Clutch/ 3.73's/ BBK OR-X Pipe w/ Super 44's/ HID's/ JLT Intake/ Fidanza Short Throw/ Katskinz seats/ 255 intank/ T-rex inline/
08 Sport Track Adrenalin 4.6 3V RWD/ Copper red
89 LX 306/GT-40's/5lug-01 Cobra wheels/ Calypso
06 350z Enthusiast/ 6spd/ Nismo Intake
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010
PONY Member

There are a few things you can do to get it going. But it all comes down to how much funds you have for an engine replacement and if you'll be doing the labor yourself.

1st suggestion:
Buy a new DSS bottom end engine and rebuild your heads and throw in a new timing chain kit. (I should have done that when my engine seized).

2nd suggestion:
Buy an engine from a wrecking yard (that's what I did) for about $900 bucks. They gave me a 6 month warranty.

It all comes down to how much you want to spend. When I was looking for an engine, I was quoted $3000 for a 99-01 Cobra engine complete swap. Not labor just parts.

So your options would be $900-$3000 for an engine replacement.

2007 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 M6 - Stock
1988 Mustang Notch 2.3 5 speed - 100% stock down to cassette player! - SOLD
2000 Mustang GT - (White) - yeah, its modified. *SOLD* (2012-2013)
2000 Mustang GT (Blue), 5 speed Saleen Clone *SOLD* (2008-2011)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Well I was a dummie and decided to pull out my motor and completely rebuild it myself. Ill tell you it was the most stressful 5 weeks of my life.( mostly because I have the rare windsor motor)
I would go to a junk yard and stuff one in.. but it will be cheaper to do it all yourself and since your problem is low compression, the problem is either the compression ring on the piston, or one of the valves. And if it doesnt smoke, im assuming its not in the rings, its probably in the head. (dont quote me on this) but it could be as simple as just rebuilding a head, which is roughly 200 bucks to have it rebuilt stock.

If you can handle lots of stress and problem solving, then pull that motor and begin rebuilding the 4.6.. :hihi:
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

OK thanks for the advice...so would a remanufactured engine be a better replacement than just a used engine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page