Project: 2000 Mustang GT ProCharger install 4.6 2v - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Project: 2000 Mustang GT ProCharger install 4.6 2v

So I am not a complete newb when it comes to working on my mustang but this will by my first SC install. A little background. I am a Deputy for a south Georgia Sheriffs dept. We had a 2006 Crown Victoria with this ProCharger kit on it. It was used on our traffic team. Well for some reason the Crown vic kept eating up idler pulleys, well 2 to be exact, but the sheriff said to take it off the vehicle. The SC maybe has 10,000 miles on it. So this whole supercharger kit has been collecting dust for 2 years and I have been hounding the Sheriff about it but he couldn't sell it since it was Assets of the county. So today I was in luck all the County vehicle assets were put on a goverment auction site I won the auction for $454.00 :kooky:The receipt for there purchase and install price was 6,246.29 so I would have to say i got a pretty good deal on it .

So I am trying to figure out what I will need to have to complete this install on my mustang. (See below pictures for what came in this kit)Will I need a different SC Bracket or will it be a direct fit from the Crown Vic? I know I will need a Bigger fuel pump so the SVT Focus is what I have been finding common in the forums but I am unfamiliar what year Focus will work .

Also I need some good recommendations for what I will need for my computer. The Crown victoria had the Diablo Predator hooked up to it but unfortunately they left it on the vehicle. Do I need my Chip reprogrammed? or a tuner or an aftermarket chip?

Kit came with 39# Delphi injectors So I am planning on using those.

Sorry for the long post. I have been searching forums for hours trying to find exactly what I just asked ya'll With not very much luck. I am not trying to build a drag car just a DD with some GOGO
Thanks for the help! If anyone driving through Savannah GA area, along I-95 or I-16 hit me up Maybe we can get some top speeds on my radar lol.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1235.JPG
Views:	857
Size:	366.8 KB
ID:	102320   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0034.jpg
Views:	4729
Size:	296.4 KB
ID:	102321   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1227.JPG
Views:	607
Size:	372.5 KB
ID:	102322   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1230.JPG
Views:	716
Size:	385.0 KB
ID:	102323   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1229.JPG
Views:	670
Size:	353.6 KB
ID:	102324  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1233.JPG
Views:	519
Size:	349.8 KB
ID:	102325   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1234.JPG
Views:	562
Size:	332.4 KB
ID:	102326   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0031.jpg
Views:	760
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	102327  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2010
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to mell0
not sure about the bracket. what heads does a 2006 crown vic have? also, all of the intercooler piping isn't going to work considering the routing isn't going to be exactly the same. the brackets for the intercooler probably won't work either. but they are really simple metal pieces that wouldn't be too hard to make.

the SVT focus fuel pump may or may not be enough. i've heard stories of it supporting 420rwhp and stories of it only holding to 320. a kenne bell BAP with the SVT focus fuel pump would definitely be enough to support the power, and the 39# injectors will also be fine. i also don't think there is any "year" svt focus pumps. as long as it is a 255 lph returnless style svt focus pump it will be a direct replacement.

2002 Procharged GT
351rwhp, 353rwtq
12.503 @ 113.08

Old 06-21-2010
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

i also can't seem to see an intake tube for the supercharger inlet. and don't mess around with canned tunes. get ti to a dyno and have a custom tune written for you.

2002 Procharged GT
351rwhp, 353rwtq
12.503 @ 113.08

Old 06-29-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for your info. We'll we have the supercharger and intercooler mounted. almost all the piping is done and yes it is missing the intake, so I need to find on.

A few more questions I ran into while we were doing the install. Does the MAF have to be installed in the fender? Why not it the stock location of the old maf? I didn't think the harness was going to stretch that far thats why I was asking. If it does have to go there and do I just need an extension harness? also out of curiosity Whats the difference between the stock MAF and the lightning one? Why is it required?

Also I am a bit confused on the reasoning for a powerpipe and what it does to increase performance. Also If I were to do a release to atmosphere bypass ( I understand there is no plausible reasoning for doing so and is pointless with only 8psi boost) But the sound it makes is freaking great! Would I just connect the bypass to the pipe leading to the intercooler from the turbo outlet and just take off the hose leading back to the intake so it doesn't recirculate? Its the stock procharger bypass valve. Lastly, for now, when i take my car to get dynoed can they tune my stock computer or do I need a programmer or chip for them to tune? Thanks guys for all your help.
Old 06-30-2010
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

nope the MAF doesn't have to go in the fender, but mine fits perfectly, no extending of the harness necessary. and the engine bay looks cleaner without MAF in there. the lightning MAF is a wider diameter and will not peg as easily as the stock MAF. your stock MAF may or may not peg.

and the powerpipe replaces the supercharger intake. if you need to already buy an intake, you might as well spend the extra few bucks and get the powerpipe.

you nailed it with the bypass valve setup. just don't connect the tube to the valve. and you'll have to use something to plug the hole in the intake if you decide not to circulate the air.

your tuner should be able to just reflash your ECU, so you won't need a handheld tuner or chip, but i would contact your tuner directly to double check. a chip only costs like $20 anyways so it shouldn't be that bad.

let me know if you need anymore help.

2002 Procharged GT
351rwhp, 353rwtq
12.503 @ 113.08

Old 06-30-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks a lot, your being very helpful.. I've been forum searching before I ask the questions I just like to confirm my understandings before I actually do them.. don't really feel like picking up my engine off the highway if I mess something up lol.. another problem I ran into.. the 39# injectors that came with my kit has different connectors then my stock ones .. my understanding is my stock ones should be eve 1 and the ones in the kit are probably eve 6 since they don't fit..is there a way around it like a conversion plug,etc? Or will I be better off buying a new set of eve 1 injectors?
Old 06-30-2010
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

hate to be a jerk because you're awfully polite butttttt...
Let me google that for you

don't take it personally, it's like my signature move.

2002 Procharged GT
351rwhp, 353rwtq
12.503 @ 113.08

Old 06-30-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Touche'.. I just hit myself in the forehead since u made me feel like an idiot.. I searched eve1 to eve 6 instead of ev 1 to ev 6.. haha no wonder all I found was eve 6 music lyrics lol :p I appreciate though.
Old 07-01-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Ok everything is back on track again. We got the ev1 to ev6 adapters in today and installed. were about to get started on the fuel pump. This project is breaking my bank! all these little parts here and there are starting to add up!! Once I get done with fuel pump all will be left is the tune. So with the new 255lph fuel pump, 39# injectors, lightning maf and 8psi boost do you think I can reset the computer and it self adjust for the new stuff, temporarily? I just need to save some more money so i can get the tune and dyno.. probably gonna be about $500. I dont want to run the car hard, just get it 3 miles down the road back to my house..
Old 07-01-2010
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

is the MAF calibrated for the injectors. if it isn't don't even try to start the car. you'll flood your cylinders and have a huge headache. if it's only 3 miles down the road have a few friends push it or have it towed there. or you could have your tuner write you a baseline tune so that you can start it and drive it down. even if you reset the computer it won't know that you're running 39# injectors instead of 19# injectors.

2002 Procharged GT
351rwhp, 353rwtq
12.503 @ 113.08

Old 07-01-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

No it has not been tuned but I did get a new oem lightning maf. Is that tuned for the 39#injectors? i think that is what the ford lightnings run stock.
Old 07-02-2010
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

call up the place you got it from and ask them. if you bought it from a mustang website there's a good chance it's setup for the 19# stock mustang injectors.

2002 Procharged GT
351rwhp, 353rwtq
12.503 @ 113.08

Old 07-07-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Ok.. Everything has been installed and we were able to get the car running yesterday but its running like crap! Im not really sure where I need to start to try and diagnose the problem. The tune I got was from a local racing place that I have heard alot of good stuff about. They set me up with a sct xcal3 with a baseline tune set up for my car. I gave him all the specifics, motor, boost, fi, fp etc.. and he set me up with a "proven tune" that he had confidence that it would be perfect for my car. I just wanted to get it running some what decent until i could save money for a dyno tune. 520.00 dollars later I had the tuner and hooked it up to my car. everything installed fine then we started her up. The vehicle was very choppy starting up with dark smoke coming from the exhaust. it smelled very rich, We don't have the air/fuel meter set up yet so all I could go by was smell right now. we had the garage door open but still filled the whole garage up with smoke. Well I figured i would let it run for a little while knowing that the injectors have been sitting in a box for 2 years figured it would clean itself up, but never did. The engine rpms would drop to almost stall then kick up to like 2,000rpm then back down to almost stalling and so on back and forth. The exhaust sounded like I had a cam in it. very choppy sounding almost like not all cylinders were firing, and still had the dark smoke coming from the exhaust. So any suggestions on what I should start with and work my way to? I am broke for now after all the money I have put into this car. I wish I could just take it to the racing shop and have them figure it out but no $. Also the car seemed to run smoother after we unhooked the lightning MAF, I just had to give it a little gas to keep it running. Could that be the problem? I was under the impression that the MAF could be tuned through the tuner is that correct? Any help greatly appreciated!! If I can get my car running right maybe I can hook ya up with a gift card or something!? Idk, I appreciate all your help also mello.
Old 07-07-2010
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

yeah black smoke is definitely rich. he probably wrote the tune a little rich to keep you on the safe side until you could get it to a dyno. did you tell him which exact MAF and injectors you have? i would clal them up and tell them what you told us so he can work out another tune. i started my car up after the procharger install with the STOCK TUNE and it ran fine. it was a tiny bit rich, but not enough to be able to see black smoke coming out of the tail pipes. my MAF was calibrated for my 42# injectors though from the place i ordered it from. i would have him write you another tune. and before you start it on the next tune, take all the plugs out and clean them up. there's a good chance that some of them are going to be fouled from the rich start up.

2002 Procharged GT
351rwhp, 353rwtq
12.503 @ 113.08

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in