Need some pointers on some red flags - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Need some pointers on some red flags

I went to look at a 99 GT today, with 107,000 miles on it. He wanted 4900, but when i offered 4300 he said he can take it. In the ad, he said that it has had a new clutch, and the flywheel has been resurfaced. Under the hood looked pretty clean, it had a cold air intake. It also had an X-pipe and flow masters.

It KBB in good shape at like 5200 so im a little worried there's something wrong with it. I didn't drive it today, but i will tomorrow.

Can y'all tell me some things that i should look out for on these 4.6's? I want to be prepared tomorrow to see how this Pony really runs.

Thanks in advance, Bob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

the first question should be if the cars was tuned for the CAI. if so, is it running premium? if those are no, you could have some small problems. second, the clutch would worry me a little. i know plenty of people with that year range still on the first clutch. listen for any ticking or knocking on the engine. also check the exhaust tips for any blackening, could mean its running lean.

mods: sct tune, jlt cai, flowmaster axle backs, sequentials
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to BoLB
dont worry about the tune with the CAI, 99-04s compensate for themselves. also dont worry about premium gas or not on a stock tune, it will have no benefit.

2001 Mustang GT [email protected]
4R70W
K&N CAI
Accufab Plenum
Accufab 75mm TB
Pacesetter O/R H pipe
Flowmaster 40 series

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddman45 View Post
the first question should be if the cars was tuned for the CAI.
Our systems can compensate to safely and effectively run cai w/o tune, although a it may bring a little power out of hiding with some air/fuel ratio tweaking. Compared to your (05+) Spanish Oak which are more sensitive and requires a tune. I wouldn't put on a cold air unit for 05+ that claims you don't need a tune... IMO if thats the case then its probably performing like stock anyway.

2000 MUSTANG GT
-300hp & 365ftlb Est // Dynoed at 253rwhp 309ftlb
-T45RSS Built by John Reggio // Baer 13in. Track Claw // Koni Shocks and Struts// Eibach Sportlines // Ford Racing Upper & Maximum Motorsport Lower Control Arms // Ford Racing '95 Cobra Rs // Toyos // Ram HDX Clutch // Ford Racing 4.10s // CAI & BBK 75mm TB // BBK Catted X-pipe // Hooker Aero Chambers // Custom Tuned using SCT
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Alright, well i picked it up this morning, its gonna need some work but im still happy with the buy. The pilot is squeeking a little bit, but thats not a huge issue from what ive read. The only other mysteries i have are

1) when i turn on the a/c the idle jumps up and starts squirming around

2) in between shifts, the RPM's dont really drop, idk if this is normal on these cars, but all my previous 5-speeds dropped in RPM's when you pushed in the clutch to shift.

....Gonna clean the IAC and see if that helps.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010
Apprentice
4.6L Member

I dont want to scare you but I bought my 99 8 months ago and ive replaced everything you can image. Stayed up countless nights, almost lost a girlfriend because of this car. But despite all that crap, I still love my 99 GT. Hopefully yours wont give you problems like mine did. Enjoy it!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

im about to pick up this restrictor plate, as cleaning the IAC didnt work, we'll see if this plate will solve both my a/c problem and hanging RPM's
86-04 FORD MUSTANG GT V6 4.6L 5.0 IAC RESTRICTOR PLATE: eBay Motors (item 110539475368 end time Jun-27-10 19:22:50 PDT)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page