Motor Rebuild Help needed for 1999 Mustang Gt - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

Motor Rebuild Help needed for 1999 Mustang Gt

Ok guys I am pulling the motor out of my 99 Gt to rebuild it. I have the new cams on the way, but I think I blew the head gasket(s) and or warped one of the heads. Anyway I need to know any tips or tricks you may know on pulling this motor out to make it easier. I would really appreciate the help.

BBK Cold Air, SCT 90mm MAF, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Trick Flow Upper Intake, Ford Racing 30lb hr Injectors, Accel Super Coils, BBK Shorty Headers, BBK OR Xpipe, Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back, Strange Aluminum Driveshaft, Strange 4:10 Gears, Eibach 1.5" Pro lowering springs, Eibach Mustang Anti Roll Kit, Strange S6004LM Fully adjustable shocks and struts, Spec Stage 3 Clutch, Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter, Smoked Tails, Chromed Headlights. Thats all for now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Are you doing a complete rebuild, or just a top end overhaul? The advice would be different in both cases.

2001 Dark Highland Green Bullitt
[email protected] naturally aspirated on a bone stock 2V longblock

Under Reconstruction for RS275 Drag Radial Class
Pushrods and Powerglide Coming Soon

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010
Apprentice
4.6L Member

I just rebuilt the motor in my 99 about a month ago and there was no "easy" way to do it. Just disconnect everything and pull the entire motor out as one unit. I left all my pulleys on and took off the main wiring harness and removed the radiator. Just dont try to pull the motor out with the tranny hooked up. Oh and id take off the intake manifold before you pull the motor. It was hard for me to get a chain around the motor with it on (because my chain wasnt long enough). have fun and good luck:hihi:

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

Yes bullitt complete rebuild. And YellowStang I took off the intake already, but I shouldnt or cant pull the trans with the motor?

BBK Cold Air, SCT 90mm MAF, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Trick Flow Upper Intake, Ford Racing 30lb hr Injectors, Accel Super Coils, BBK Shorty Headers, BBK OR Xpipe, Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back, Strange Aluminum Driveshaft, Strange 4:10 Gears, Eibach 1.5" Pro lowering springs, Eibach Mustang Anti Roll Kit, Strange S6004LM Fully adjustable shocks and struts, Spec Stage 3 Clutch, Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter, Smoked Tails, Chromed Headlights. Thats all for now!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010
Apprentice
4.6L Member

You cant pull the motor with the tranny through the top of the engine compartment. The only way to get them out together is to get a lift and take out the k member, then the motor and tranny will come out through the bottom. I dont have a lift so I pulled out the tranny first, then yanked the motor out through the top. Oh and take the hood off too.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Make sure that the machine shop that bores or hones the engine has a torque plate. These engines have to have a torque plate on it to even hone the cylinders. If you don't they're succeptible to warping in the cylinders when the heads are torqued down, and they'll burn oil and eventually crack a ring landing on the piston from the cylinder not being perfectly round anymore.

2001 Dark Highland Green Bullitt
[email protected] naturally aspirated on a bone stock 2V longblock

Under Reconstruction for RS275 Drag Radial Class
Pushrods and Powerglide Coming Soon

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

ok thanks guys I really appreciate it!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page