Having serious problems getting my 1996 Mustang Manual GT into gear...Clutch problem? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Having serious problems getting my 1996 Mustang Manual GT into gear...Clutch problem?

Hi everybody,

This is my second posting with AFM. Last time really helped, so I'm hoping you all can get this one too.

I have a 1996 Mustang Gt. Manual Transmission. The transmission is stock.

I was driving along and put my car into gear and as soon as I started moving the car popped out of gear. I didn't think much about it except for thinking it was a little weird. It did that a few more times through the week. Then I went about two or three weeks with no issues like that.

Then, I started noticing that Every once-in-a-while it was a little tricky getting the car to switch gears. The clutch was pressed in all the way, but I had to push a little to get the shifter into the gear. It was no particular gear. It happened on almost all of them but 5th. It would also grind a little going into reverse occasionally.

Then this past week, I was out for a drive picking something up not 3 blocks from my house. I noticed it was getting harder to get it into gear each time I shifted. By time I got home, I rolled it into its spot. I could almost push the shifter as hard as I could, and it wasn't letting me get into any gear without some serious work.

I'm a big guy, and this was some hard pushing. I could eventually get it into gear, but not without some serious effort.

I replaced a broken clutch cable before the winter. It was not driven a ton during the winter. So, the clutch cable is nearly brand new.

Are these signs of a new clutch needed? What else could this be? I need some options or solutions.

Thanks so much in advance! I hope you all can help me out.

Let me know if any more info is needed.

THANKS!

BJ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010
Rookie
Classic Member
4.6L Member

If your clutch is to blame then I would it to be easier to get into gear if the engine is not running. I failed clutch will usually result in a car that will not move in gear also.

What you're describing sounds more internal to the transmission. I'd pull the shifter out of the transmission and inspect it. If that's not it, it starts looking kinda bad for the guts ot the transmission.

'66 Convertible, 4.6, 5 speed, supercharger, 4 wheel disks w/ABS, PS, PB, PW & A/C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
96 mustang gt , clutch , grinding gears , shifting problems , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page