1999 Mustang GT, clutch/transmission problems? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

1999 Mustang GT, clutch/transmission problems?

I bought a 1999 mustang gt with 116,000 miles on it about 2 months ago. Right away I had the shocks and brakes done. Now I'm having problems with the clutch and transmission.

About a month ago the car popped out of gear while in reverse. It did this every once and a while and i didn't think it was a big deal (also did some research on this forum and supposedly that is normal). Now when i shift into reverse the gears grind or if i get it in gear it almost always pops out with a grinding sound. Even if i go from the car being in gear to reverse. Most of the time i can't even get the car into reverse without having to switch into another gear first. Could this mean the transmission is messed up? All the other gears seem fine; no grinding.

Also the clutch just today began to make a squeaking sound when i release it especially when the engine is off. It also seems a bit harder to press. DO i need to adjust it? or could the clutch need replacing?

So far i'm sad to say that this mustang may have been a bad choice.

1999 GT Black. All stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

my reverse is a little like that too, itll make a slight grind before going into gear. Im thinking its just the syncro getting old. I figure with a little bit of lucas additive itll go cleaner but i havent tried yet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
clutch , grinding , pop , reverse , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page