Saleen Madness!!!! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Smile Saleen Madness!!!!

IF ANYONE CAN HELP ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT. I am in the process of installing a Version 1 supercharger on my 2001 GT. Halfway into the install I have already encountered a problem with the thermostat housing. The angle of the stock GT one leads the radiator hose straight at the SC pulley. Does anyone know of an aftermarket Housing or one off another model that will fit? Will the 03-04 cobra ones work?

I have also copied some unanswered questions I've found posted on other forums that I was hoping my allford mustang buddies could help me out with.

Here they go:

1.) Has anyone actually installed one of these blowers before or have experience with them that could tell me what else I need for the install? I'm pretty sure I'll need that alternator bracket, where might I get one? I gather that Saleen, JDM Engineering and Chicane are the people most people go to for Saleen questions?

2.) I'm really most concerned about heat control, so I was looking at cooling solutions on a budget. Will a larger heat exchanger help any? For the $250 entry price for a big LFP exchanger, will I see any tangible benefits? I'm really trying to do this on a budget, and I can't spend $700 on a Chicane intercooler.

3.) The blower came with a Chicane 66mm pulley, will my car be able to withstand this boost (8pounds)? Also what size belt is appropriate for this pulley?

4.) My research indicates it will no problem, and that I should be getting about 330rwhp? Is this accurate? Would my car be able to handle the extra heat without cooling upgrades?

5.) Mosaleen idler pulley. I've read the evilgloo forum post. Has ANYONE on this forum gotten more power with this simple pulley or should I just get it to ward off belt slip?

6.) I read some stuff about a bigger, higher flower intercooler pump, would this be better than a larger heat exchanger? I really just need suggestions to keep the heat down, as the kit did not come with a temp. gauge and the car might see some horrific LA traffic during the summer.

7.) Can a standard Dyno tuner tune a system like this?

8.) Is there an electical unit that runs the H/E and water pump? I have both pieces but they only have power wires and grounds. Can I wire these direct to a power source and just have them run constantly when my engine is on?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate whoever takes the time to read this ridiculously long post. I'm just trying to get as much information and parts ahead of time before the build to cut down the time I don't have the car on the road. I've been trying and will continue to look through forums for more information.

Thanks again!

2001 GT: SCT custom tune/ Tunable Inductions CAI//Masterflow cat'd trueX/Masterflow CatBack/iridium plugs/Pioneer AVH-P3100 touch screen/Sony 12" sub/70mm Ford Racing TB/ Comp Cam II

Current Install: Saleen V-1 roots SC/intercooler setup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to mell0
it would probably be easier and cheaper to buy a different radiator hose. or, you could extend yours. just cut your radiator hose, find a piece of aluminum or stainless steel tubing that fits inside your radiator hose and then use hose clamps to seal the tubing to the radiator hose.

1) or you could custom fab a bracket. all you would need is a small sheet of stainless, or any other steel for that matter, a dremel, a drill, and some paint, if it isn't stainless. but yes those companies could hook you up. but what about where you bought the supercharger from? they should have these parts as well.

2)you're really going to want that chicane intercooler. it's worth every single penny of that $700. and my procharger 3 core intercooler was like $1,100, so $700 doesn't sound bad to me. a heat exchanger is used in conjunction with an intercooler, so if you don't have an intercooler there will be no use for a heat exchanger. coolant runes through the intercooler to soak the heat from the compressed air, the coolant then travels to the heat exchanger, where the coolant is cooled by the ambient air before going back into the intercooler.

3)you'll be fine with 8psi, just get a safe dyno tune and run some cooler spark plugs. NGK Tr6's will do the trick. contact chicane or saleen for the proper belt size.

4)330 sounds right without an intercooler, although you said it was a series 1, so it might be a bit less. without the intercooler you have to run much less timing which kind of robs you of power. and with that 8psi pulley you're going to be making a bit of heat, especially without the intercooler. more heat means you're more prone to detonation, so less timing can be thrown into the mix. and our motors can usually hold around 425rwhp, so you should be fine as long as you have a decent tune.

5) you should get it to ward off belt slip. i've heard PLENTY of stories of guys getting belt slip, the belt actually extending out a bit and tearing up their radiator hose. and grn 00 gt was running one on his saleen series IV, but he sold his gt for a vette. you might be able to send a pm. he might answer you.

6) intercooler pumps are only necessary with intercoolers. lol so if you aren't planning on running an intercooler, you won't be able to use one, or a heat exchanger for that matter. a non intercooled setup is quite literally a blower strapped to the heads with nothing else.

7)yeah a dyno shouldn't have a problem tuning it.

8)you could. i would run them to a switchable 12v so that they only run when the car is on. if you just wire them to a positive source then they will always be on, unless you wire in a switch.

and i was just thinking, why you have a heat exchanger and intercooler pump without an intercooler? did the guy screw you and not give you the intercooler? have you separated the blower from the lower intake? there might be an intercooler already in there.

2002 Procharged GT
351rwhp, 353rwtq
12.503 @ 113.08

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

I definitely have an inter-cooler. I have the stock Saleen Version-1 inter-cooler with the known gaping issues. I was just curious as to if a better heat exchanger would nock it down a couple degrees. I have the NGK sparks and I am planning on putting them in with the install. The system is off a crash car. A couple parts were scraped in the wreck.

Thank you for all your help. I'll definitely PM grn 00 gt. I'm also planning on bugging Saleen and chicane to see if they can help. I'll update you when I get some more info.

2001 GT: SCT custom tune/ Tunable Inductions CAI//Masterflow cat'd trueX/Masterflow CatBack/iridium plugs/Pioneer AVH-P3100 touch screen/Sony 12" sub/70mm Ford Racing TB/ Comp Cam II

Current Install: Saleen V-1 roots SC/intercooler setup

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to mell0
you might lose a couple of degrees with a larger h/e but i wouldn't bother. i was under the impression that you weren't intercooled at all.

2002 Procharged GT
351rwhp, 353rwtq
12.503 @ 113.08

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in