What are the differences - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

What are the differences

Hi, I have a Jap export 96 Mustang GT, what are the differences in the fuel system?, I have read they have 4 cats fitted to exhaust, Mine has 6?, all Mustangs have 4 o2 sensors, Mine has 2 at front & 2 cat heater probes?, I've fitted a catted Magnaflow x pipe which has caused the Check engine light to come on, I've checked for vacuum leaks (have none), checked for exhaust leaks (have none), been told to fit MIL eliminators (only 2 0s sensors), I've had the codes read which said its running a bit lean?, Im getting frustated, anybody got any ideas:?::?:

96 Mustang GT (Jap Spec) 4.6L v8, Steeda CAI, MSD leads, Blaster coils, Chrome strut brace,17" Rocket Booster Alloys, Eibach Springs & wheel spacers, Monroe Sensatrac Shocks, Magnapack exhaust, Smoked rear lights, UK headlights, Alpine touch screen DVD, Mach 460 sounds, Eibach f & r anti roll bars, Jap wheel arch trims, Opal Frost paint, EBC brakes, full leather, Custom decals, Mach 1 chin spoiler, all chrome switchgear..........More to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKStangGT View Post
Hi, I have a Jap export 96 Mustang GT, what are the differences in the fuel system?, I have read they have 4 cats fitted to exhaust, Mine has 6?, all Mustangs have 4 o2 sensors, Mine has 2 at front & 2 cat heater probes?, I've fitted a catted Magnaflow x pipe which has caused the Check engine light to come on, I've checked for vacuum leaks (have none), checked for exhaust leaks (have none), been told to fit MIL eliminators (only 2 0s sensors), I've had the codes read which said its running a bit lean?, Im getting frustated, anybody got any ideas:?::?:
It might be working right and if you did other mods besides cated x-pipe it could be running VERY lean. Have the car checked as a very lean condition = engine goes boom. As you do more mods to an air pump(engine), you make it more efficient (more air in & out). You then must add fuel to the mix or it will cause a lean condition. Don't use MIL ELIMINATORS ON THE FRONT O2's as these tell the computer what the air to fuel ratio you have... But if the stock computer setting can't add enough fuel to compensate for the new parts added then the car will run lean.....(you may only need a tune added to fix it-plus you may get more mpg & hp)

ps- the California mustangs had 6 cats also... have the cars air to fuel ratio checked and @ the same time have the O2's checked as a bad one can give incorrect readings.....

2002 ROUSH Stage 2, set up for SCCA/Autocross. ROUSH 13" brakes,ROUSH 37mm front sway, ROUSH upper & lower arms, Vogtland coil springs w/ isolators removed, ROUSH CAI, 275/40/17's on 17x9 Bullitt rims on all corners, Hawk brake pads, Tokico D-spec struts n shocks, adjustable rear sway bar, Steeda f&r strut/shock tower brace, bumpsteer kit, J&M C/C plates, sub-frame connectors....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page